I think I have found it.

Kudzu

My next design that is! I know you have heard that before. I have many potential designs in my Sand Box that I have been playing with. I have posted a few but nothing has really hit the mark for me. Lot of interesting ideas but none that said " You must build me'.  But yesterday I had a thought. actually it is an old thought, a very old thought. I have been brooding over it for a very long time.

(Most) Everyone loves the look of Shad. I like the way it paddles but it tracks a bit harder than I would prefer. So I have been busy working on an new boat based off Ken Taylors Iggy, the boat  that basically kick started Sea Kayaking. I will skip the details but I have the design 95% finished and it is beautiful! But ....... I don't know. It's just not speaking to me. There are lots of copies of Iggy's out there so why do another?

Because they LOOK FANTASTIC!!  But I didn't get into the business to build copies of other people boats. I wanted to design my own. When that thought entered my mind that is when it came together for me. A cross between my best paddling design and my best looking design.

If I start with the basic hull shape of a Short or Long Shot multi-chine round hull and give it true Greenland styling. I have never seen a traditional styled Greenland boat with a round (faster) hull shape.  The more rounded hull is slipperier, meaning it will be easier to paddle or you could say it is going to be faster for the same amount of effort. 

Funny, but I have just started playing around with a first draft and I all ready know this is going to be the next boat in my line up. Stay tuned!!

• Like 1

How do you mean Greenland style? Long overhangs, or big Cadillac looking tail fin?

The big tail fins purportedly help the boats remain stable on their sides. I think they look neato.

This boat sounds very interesting.

I've built a few roughly West Greenland style boats, and considered adding extra stringers. My problem is, I LIKE the way chines look. Shoot, I even think the Seabird is pretty...

Any numbers yet? Length? Beam?

Looking forward to seeing your new design come together, always liked the looks of the Greenland style boats. Also hope you can find the time to maybe finish off that last 5%, I'll buy the plans, have wood set aside for it.

But I understand working on something that gives you that happy feeling, stopped some projects myself because the joy just wasn't there.

Al

Looking forward to seeing your new design come together, always liked the looks of the Greenland style boats. Also hope you can find the time to maybe finish off that last 5%, I'll buy the plans, have wood set aside for it.

I laid the new boat over Shad and I was shocked at how much alike they were. There were differences of course but not much. Main difference was more rocker.  So I would basically be offering the same boat, just more rocker. If I were going to do that I would just make a modified version of SHAD with more rocker. Which I may do at some point but there is no sense in designing a whole new boat.

Here is a concept drawing. I have to work out the details on it. But I am want to try to keep it around 17 feet. People seem to have problems with longer boats for some reason. But long overhangs make for short waterlines. So we will see. This is just a rough draft but the styling is close.

linesplan.jpg

I also like the sharp corner on the stern stem.

I don't like the look of it but I like the function. I want a rudder effect and low rocker at the back.

For those that paddle rougher water this will (should) act something like a small rudder and not get pushed around too much. ... at least that is the thinking. Then I want more Rocker in the front, not much 'forefoot' so it can turn easy too. The goal is a tracking with good turning when leaned. But isn't that always he goal?