Miranti Stonefly Build Australia

lisian

Bcone I havn't weighed it since its finished, but at a guess from the last weigh I would say around 37 pounds, I did get it up and on to our 4wd drive by myself today, but I must say it wasn't exactly easy.

Jeff, notice the sticker on the back of the car  ;)

I had about 3 different people approach today at our local harbour who wanted to know about the boat and how it was made :)

IMG_8659.jpg

I had about 3 different people approach today at our local harbour who wanted to know about the boat and how it was made :)

That's an example of "carpark syndrome" - sometimes you spend so much time answering questions you have a hard time actually getting on the water :D

• 2 months later...

Took my 'baby' camping this weekend to a Dam, and went for my biggest paddle so far. Now I have gotten used to the boat and how it handles and getting in and out of it I love it :) and paddling with my greenland paddle is great, I must admit I was a little skeptical of these 'sticks' before using one.

Lisa.

canoe.jpg

canoe5.jpg

canoe4.jpg

canoe3.jpg

• 1 year later...

I knew it had been a while since I had been on here, I didn't quite realise how long; September 2014. I don't even remember my old log in so had to create a new one.

Anyway I am just on here to say I sold my baby yesterday and it was very sad to see her go, but needs must and I needed money to fund more timber for my new projects.

Words can't describe how much I enjoyed making this boat, I think I enjoyed it way more than actually using it. Though I did enjoy that also, she went on almost every camping trip we went on.

Anyways this boat, this build was the start of something for me, and I will be forever thankful for Jeff's plans for leading me down this path.

Since this build I also built a Firefly and I designed a canoe for my kids using the same techniques I had learnt from Jeff's book. I then moved onto steam bent ribs on a dinghy but unfortunately I sold that one before finishing it and now I have moved on to hollow wooden surfboards.

But I just wanted to share where this has led me and I hope it is ok to share the website I have been working on, on here. If you go to the projects page and scroll to the bottom I have given credit to your plans Jeff and I hope that from that more people find your plans and appreciate what you do and all the work that goes into designing your boats.

http://www.saplingdesigns.com.au

Cheers from Australia,

Lisa.

Well I had a look at your web site and was going to say "Go girl!" - but obviously you already went :D . It's good to see your talent is not going to waste.

You probably already know about it but I did not see any reference to Paulownia timber on your site. This could be useful for contrast with the cedar while keeping the weight down as it is very light in both colour and density (much lower density than pine). Price is not too different from western red cedar as I recall.

Love the pics of the boards with the Kombi and mini. Have you thought of getting one with a HQ panel van? It would really go with the atmosphere.

I hope things continue to go well.

Hi Labrat,

yes I have been using paulownia. I love the timber, nice to work with and easy to burn on :) I personally cannot work with cedar as it affects my asthma and makes me itchy, which is a shame as I have a heap of it here given to me from an old deck. Hubby plans to make something with it one day, but seems such a waste.

Lisa.