CS17 #339 Questions on Fairing Hull Seams

acreew

The reason for the hollow is that the center seam was open or not tight at the transom. It is not hard to prevent, you just need to lift the transom. The stern wants to sag, a 1 x 2 prop from the floor to the center seam below the transom, carrying the weight of the stern section will close up the seam and the keel hollow will be gone.

Once it is all glued, you own it. While Paul is correct, I suspect that you will not notice much difference in performance at the normal sailing speeds. The effected area is pretty small, if you put a straight edge fore and aft along the bottom you will notice that the concave area disappears pretty quickly as you move outboard.

Agreed, it's not a big concern, in regard to the actual performance detraction underway, unless of course you happen to be among a handful of other CS-17's, all looking to do their best particularly in light air. If it was me, the "hook" would drive me nuts, but 99% of the folks you'll meet will never see it, so . . .

Since it drove me nuts, I filled it.  20140702_113003.jpg

Looks like one more cycle of fill and sand is in order.  It is really not that bad a job to do, it just takes a little patience.  I admit to being a gearhead and speed junkie, I would have blamed that dip for all poor performance regardless of whether it was the cause or not.  It's the journey that is interesting, not the destination. 

I might be tempted to go with foam core (available from most good boat building suppliers.  It would save hours of filling and much epoxy.  I was concerned that with 6 oz glass on it, that it might be too easy to compress the foam were I to hit a rocky beach.  

I used Okoume core squares that were sitting around to fill the gap to withing 1/8" both directions +/-.  Then, used microballoons mixed with WEST epoxy and a touch of thixotropic filler to control sag.  I have found the 1/2 gallon empty ice cream containers are the best mixing tubs ever.  Where a good high quality dust mask,  this stuff is nasty to mix and to sand.  

It took almost a whole tub of microballons.  I now need to order more.  Hoping to sand and start glassing tomorrow.