Home built gathering?

Kudzu

We have been tossing around the idea about hosting a very informal get together for home built kayaks. If you have heard of Nick Shade' Meet at the Beach, it would be something like that. Just meet somewhere on  our Lake and talk boats and do some paddling.  

Guntersville is a HUGE lake and there are some great paddling locations. Of course I would have as many boats as I could for people to try out. 

Just a thought at this point. But it would take place in Guntersville, AL. There is no shortage of paddling, camping or motels. Probably have  a meet up on Friday night. Then organize a couple of paddles for Saturday, maybe a short trip Sunday morning before people head home?

Just looking at the possibility. I know we are scattered all around the country but there is a real shortage of Kayaking Events in the South and there is nothing in my area. Is this something you want to attend? What would make it interesting to you?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I am pinning this to the top of the forum and want to look into doing this.  My idea is just to keep it very informal event, no fee's, no secret handshakes, no membership. ;)

Off the top of my head I was thinking:

• Friday night meet and greet.
  • Saturday Meet at the Water. I will have whatever boats I have available out for people to try.
  • Saturday afternoon paddle trip.
  • Sunday morning another paddle trip
  • Sunday afternoon your free to do what ever you want.

The first place that comes to mind to have this is Guntersville State Park. We have great paddling right in the park.  The Lodge is on the Mountain with a fantastic view of the river. Restaurant and Coffee Shop, rooms, Chalets and Cabins down at the water.  Camping, primitive and all hookups are available. Golf Course, nice sand beach, etc.It has the advantage of convince and it is a beautiful facility. Don't know pricing but there are lots of places to stay here if it is to pricey. We have lots of water and in recent years a lot of homes have become vacation rentals. So lots of options are available.

If someone wanted, it is great place to take a vacation too. The lake is huge and if you are a fisherman you would love it.  There is a lot to do nearby.  Huntsville is about an hour away and the NASA Space and Rocket Center is a must see if you are a space junkie!

I am open to ideas and suggestions.  When to hold it is a big question.  Summer here can be (usually are) hot and humid. So spring and late summer/early fall make the most sense. To late to do anything this spring but fall is possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a great idea Jeff. Glad it's not until autumn at least. Since I have no skin on yet, my Long Shot would probably not float well. Ala would be nice, though, as we say in N.E., "Yah cahn't get thayah from heeyah." I'd love to do it, but there is the added attraction of a story to put in the magazine.

David

ack-logo%20no%20TM%20mark%20SM.jpg