A 'Howdy' from a new poster & questions

timbo2

Hi there everyone.  I'm been looking at possibly building the Stonefly, and have checked out some of the boats some of you have made.  About a year ago I finished a sailing dingy and posted about it in the B&B section of the forum.  While it was great fun and I really want to build a bigger boat, the epoxy damn near killed me.  I had quite severe reactions to it, regardless of fans used, masks worn, etc.  So I started to look around at alternatives and I really like the Stonefly.  Now the questions:  Approximately how much do they weigh finished?  Do most of you use scarfed joints for the gunwales and stringers?  And is epoxy absolutely necessary for the scarfs?  I can't imagine where I'd get single boards long enough to make them one piece.  Regarding skins, I read Jeffs description of nylon and polyester skins.  And I believe the latest is that the 11 oz is the 'best' choice.  Elsewere, I've read that 3 oz. Ceconite found at airplane supply stores works well, too.  Is there a big difference between the Kudzu 11 oz and the 3 oz Ceconite besides the obvious weight?  They're both polyesters, but is Ceconite different somehow? 

Tim

I am by no means an expert, but I can answer a few of your questions.  If you can't get wood long enough for the stringers the you will need a scarf joint.  Many here (myself included) use Titebond III for the scarf joints, gunwales, etc.  You don't need epoxy for anything on these boats.

Re. the polyester; as I understand it, Dacron, Ceconite, Poly-Fiber, etc. are just brand names for Dacron (DuPont trademark) fiber polyester fabric.  The difference in the 'weight' of the fabric is the main factor in how 'tough' your skin will be.  11 oz.  fabric will be more abrasion and puncture resistant than 3 oz.  How and where you are boating will guide your decision about fabric weight.

Anything I say can be construded as biased advertising. But, other builders will chime in and if I lying, they will tell you.  :)

Approximately how much do they weigh finished? 

It will vary a little from builder to builder but a safe bet is 35-38 lbs. if you follow my instructions and use a good lightweight wood for the frame. Stonefly has a little extra wood it in and is usually a couple of pounds heavier than the others. I think mine rigged out with anchor, rod holders and  comes in just under 40 lbs? So the bare boat is probably 33-35 lbs. Been a while so I am not sure on that.

Do most of you use scarfed joints for the gunwales and stringers?  And is epoxy absolutely necessary for the scarfs?

Scarfing is the way to go becauser finding good long lumber is hard and if you find it it is expensive.

I never use epoxy in my boats. I use Titebond 3 for the scarfs and every boat I build has several scarfs in it. I have never had one fail using Titebond. The catch is you MUST have good mating joints! I cut mine using a jig on the table saw so they mate nearly perfect. Epoxy will fill gaps and Titebond will not. 

Regarding skins, I read Jeffs description of nylon and polyester skins.  And I believe the latest is that the 11 oz is the 'best' choice.  Elsewere, I've read that 3 oz. Ceconite found at airplane supply stores works well, too.  Is there a big difference between the Kudzu 11 oz and the 3 oz Ceconite besides the obvious weight?

Ceconite is an aircraft grade fabric so it is probably a higher quality with absolutely no flaws in the weave. But 3 oz fabric is too light for anything other than a boat that is babied. I would no want to paddle one covered in it for any distance.  If you are going to use a boat and not worry about it 7 or 8 oz is the minimum I would consider.

The 8 oz has been used on LOTS of boats and is well proven. The newer 11 oz I found is tougher but I wouldn't say it is the best fabric either. There are good and bad qualities to all fabrics and you have to weight those out and decide what suits you. Me, I love the 11 oz and it my choice on my personal boats. 

For me, a kayak made with 3oz. would not last long. I'm not real rough on my Curlew, but I bump stuff, drag it where I should lift and sometimes I don't gorilla scoot well enough off a concrete ramp and end up needing my sponge more than I want. Fortunately the abrasions (if not to bad) can be repaired with just another coat of paint and it's good to go again. My Curlew outfitted and all comes in at 37 lbs.  Can't remember, but probably used 8oz. Dacron from Jeff.

No disrespect taken. :)   I looked over my build journal and found that before paint or any outfitting it weighed 30.5 lbs.  Used western red cedar & baltic birch.  After paint, webbing, soft padeyes, toggle, minicell seat, backband & float bags I reweighed and it came in @ 35.5 lbs.  I've probably used more paint than necessary on the hull since I'm kinda clumsy.