CS17 mk3 hull #3 "Carlita"

Designer

Hey malingo. You're gonna do a CS-15 Mk-3 too? I think it will only be available as a kit---at least for awhile. Hopefully the great folks at B&B will be able to get my kit soon. Little too cold to go sailing yet though. It's below freezing here right now. But SUMMER IS COMING!!!

• 6 months later...

Graham has made some progress on his Core Sound 17 Mark 3 over the past couple of weeks. We have slightly redesigned the deck structure. In the end Graham decided that an inwale along the top edge of the sheer strake panel is the best solution. His deck beams are also starting to go in. 

Graham plans to use a sliding hatch for the companionway with a "garage" over the forward end which will extend all the way to the second bulkhead. A forward hatch will be go in the forward end of the garage. The garage allows for the installation of a dodger later. Graham is opting for a dodger instead of the trench option. 

Here is an album of his build thus far. https://picasaweb.google.com/107469640725598007206/CS_17_MK3_photos?authuser=0&feat=directlink

With the cabin structure being finalized, our construction manual might finally be completed as well as some more detailed plan sheets showing these final structural details. 

-Alan

• Like 1

Graham plans to use a sliding hatch for the companionway with a "garage" over the forward end which will extend all the way to the second bulkhead. A forward hatch will be go in the forward end of the garage. The garage allows for the installation of a dodger later. Graham is opting for a dodger instead of the trench option. 

You mean a sea hood?  ;)

I had a dodger on my Renegade without using a sea hood.  Due to the single sliding section and a lip under it around the companionway this worked fine.  But I can see why he wants one in this scenario.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Alan and Graham for the pictures - it's great to see Carlita coming together. I'm trying to figure out how to manage the hatch and trench and framing details for Rain Shadow. Might there be any concept sketches? If I follow Chick's lead, I'll be needing another hunk of plywood, but generally I kind of like the forward hatch idea. I have no idea what a garage, or for that matter a sea hood, is, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.

Also - I notice the small, 5/8" maybe holes in the knees - are those for running wire? I'm also trying to figure out wiring runs for nav and a few cabin lites.

Fred,

I have been making nice progress on Carlita. My main thrust of late has been the cockpit. The ice box is almost done, the port side cockpit seat is glued down, the outboard well is done and I have been working on the cockpit coaming. The reason that my work is a bit asymmetric is that I want to work through the first half of the cockpit to be able to add my findings to the build manual and make any adjustments to the plan as I find them. I will get to the cabin hatches after the cockpit.

The holes in the hanging knees are just handy tie holes. I can hang things from them or maybe tie off lee cloths if I need to.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can find the time. 

Thanks Graham. I can't wait to see pictures whenever you get around to it - I continue to closely study the ones you have posted. But I'm still glassing and sealing the hull compartments, so deck framing is a long ways off and I'm ahead of myself by a  lot yet.

I'm really sorry not to make it to the mess about - I'd learn a lot!

Fred