CS17 mk3 hull #3 "Carlita"

Designer

I've been reading Tom Lathrop's list of adventures with his BRS15 "Loon".  I'm starting to think that I need to get a 2.5, so I have the option of installing it on my BRS.  I am envious of you guys with your CS17.3's & 20.3's, what with all the cruising you can do.  No, I don't have "Two-Foot Fever"-- yet.  But maybe I should protect for the possibility of camp-cruising in my 15, and buy the lightweight 2.5 instead of a 5 or 6.  It's a good thing I am not buying this until spring.  This way I can annoy my wife all winter long, talking about this motor or that.  This is gonna be fun!

At the dock capsize test.

We got to capsize Carlita yesterday and Alan just uploaded the video to our website. 

I am always happy to see that the tests confirmed the calculations. Of course real life conditions are not always like it is at the dock. If you watch the video you will see what happens when I forgot to dog down the fore hatch. It was no problem in calm water.

The other positive result I noticed was that when the stability ran out with the main mast about a foot under the water, the buoyancy of the sealed masts stopped the boat from wanting to invert.

All the calculations are worthless if hatches leak or fail or the mast fills up with water or gear stowed below can move.

• Like 1

The weather was nice after work today but the wind was too light for real sailing. I wanted to try the spinnaker so we motored out to the wind line. I was well satisfied with the way it set. We could carry it quite deep without the interference of the other sails and could carry it a little forward of the beam. We could probably carry it a fair bit higher with the other sails up and some more wind. I think that it will do a good job.

Got to try out Alan's oars from Southbound, they worked well. I will compare them with mine over the next couple of days. Mine are heavier and a bit longer and the oar stops are in the wrong place.

I tried rotating the first picture but it keeps showing it on it's side.

post-127-0-31591400-1481173220_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-21852100-1481173275_thumb.jpg

Steve,

The reinforcement for the bowsprit tube precludes adding a second vent port in the forward bulkhead. If you were not going to put in a bowsprit then I can't think of an issues with having dual vent ports in the forward bulkhead. Here are some pictures of Graham's Bowsprit (recently added to the Carlita photo album) https://goo.gl/photos/dSPWdScQvddu6e4D9

Steve,

Alan is correct, I could not fit a hatch to port because of the bowsprit. There will be times when there will never enough ventilation. I am still planning to fit a dodger on the boat which will allow me to have the hatch open in the rain. 

Beth and I slept in the boat during MISCF, Friday night was raining and the boat was completely closed except for that port. It was quite pleasant on board. If we had opening ports in the hull, they would have been closed.

Graham, it was pretty cold at the MASCF if I recall. I'm worried about when it's 80 + and sleeping below. I think I'll just add one for now. I've had pretty good luck with those Nicro solar vents and I am planning to add one of them so I may get enough ventilation. Us northerners don't do well in the heat.

Currently, I'm not planning on adding a bow sprit, but I may change my mind. I see the location on the plans, but I don't see anything on my plans regarding the sprit construction.

Steve,

It was a cool night but the port kept the cabin from getting stuffy and there was no condensate under the deckhead in the morning.

The Nicro solar vent does work, I have installed several. I won't be putting one on Carlita as it would have gone under water in our capsize test unless it was on centerline and I do not have much centerline real estate left. They can be a bit noisy when you are trying to sleep but they can be turned off. There is no reason why you cannot install both. Sometimes nothing short of a 2 ton Carrier will work. If it is not raining an open forehatch and open companionway will do good things plus you can amplify it a bit more with a wind scoop. The port was on the downside during our capsize test and it did not leak.