Matilda Build

JAnimis

Over past five months I have mentored a middle school team entry in the Northern California Solar Regatta (https://www.smud.org/en/about-smud/environment/renewable-energy/solar-regatta.htm).  Our boat was based on the "Matilda" from Jeff's book. The boat performed well.  It took second place in the endurance event and if we'd had a little more time to overcome a few issues with our motor, I think it would have been competive in the sprint and slalom as well.  We also won "Best Boat Design"  It was a great experience and we are looking forward to competing again next year.  Here are some photos of the build:

post-3849-0-24259900-1400372208_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-60410800-1400372288_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-85653700-1400372433_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-70941200-1400372781_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-88040300-1400372902_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-27177600-1400373012_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-34472600-1400373149_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-06547400-1400373399_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-11675900-1400373224_thumb.jpgpost-3849-0-99784800-1400373221_thumb.jpg

MDO frames, redwood stringers, keelson, and gunwales.

We were going to build our motor, but with less than a month to the race, a parent donated a Torqeedo 801 that he wasn't using.  It was a mixed blessing.  It would have been very difficult for us to build the motor and drivetrain we had planned, so the Torqeedo gave us a working motor.  The problem is that it was too smart.  It is a really nice, compact, and powerful motor, but it uses a complex computer controller that wasn't happy with the power we had available from the solar panels we were required to use.  We had to ramp up our speed very slowly and carefully or the CPU would shut down the motor forcing a reboot that put us back to the slow ramp again. It was very easy to go over the tipping point.  To his credit, our pilot only tripped it once, but those limitations killed our chances in the sprint and slalom races. If we use the Torqeedo next year, we hope to labotomize it and run our power straight to the motor.

Excelsior! These are the things kids should be doing in school.

My kids have taught me they learn best when they aren't conscious of it.

My children are fitting out their little sailboat for sailing season now.

Kids do love the boats.

And the smiles demonstrate the fantastic job you are doing with those kids.

Thanks.

I showed this to my kids. They love it.

I've been thinking about your motor. I read you wanted to build one, which is awesome. Barring that, I would suggest a plain old trolling motor.

I know a guy, it is not me, who drives his 18 foot canoe around with a trolling motor. He uses the battery from his truck. Yes, take it out, fish for a while, put it back in and drive home.

Point being, his trolling motor will still drive the boat when it is discharged enough we have to push start the truck.

Also, they are usually just a motor connected to a "throttle" by two wires and a hollow tube. You could cut the tube short and hard mount the motor.

Light, cheap, durable, and there are different props available.

You're talking about building your own motor, though, so...

Just my opinion about a motor option.

Where do you race? I been all over this fine state racing the bikes. I can't tell if you're north of the green line.

He has a small truck with a big battery and fishes in the sticks, far from help. Only been stranded once that I know of. He do get home late quite often.

I'm sure you all have one of those friends. I hope you do.

I do NOT recommend the practice, unless you are related to Mr. Magoo, too.

I used golf cart batteries when I used a motor on my canoe. I never use a motor anymore.

I showed this to my kids. They love it.

I've been thinking about your motor. I read you wanted to build one, which is awesome. Barring that, I would suggest a plain old trolling motor.

I know a guy, it is not me, who drives his 18 foot canoe around with a trolling motor. He uses the battery from his truck. Yes, take it out, fish for a while, put it back in and drive home.

Point being, his trolling motor will still drive the boat when it is discharged enough we have to push start the truck.

Also, they are usually just a motor connected to a "throttle" by two wires and a hollow tube. You could cut the tube short and hard mount the motor.

Light, cheap, durable, and there are different props available.

You're talking about building your own motor, though, so...

Just my opinion about a motor option.

Where do you race? I been all over this fine state racing the bikes. I can't tell if you're north of the green line.

A lot of teams use trolling motors, but for these short distance races, high torque, low speed motors do much better.  The 4 solar panels we are given are old decomissioned panels and at best put our 65W each.  Motors like the Torqeedo and Electric Paddle are better suited to this race.

We are in Sacramento but the race is held at Rancho Seco Park (SMUD has to use if for something :) ).

We need more kids that can dream, and then make those dreams reality.

That's for sure.  The US is going down the toilet in regards to young scientists, engineers and mathematicians.  Projects like this one help spawn the awe and wonder of our world needed to motivate kids to study technology.  And even if they don't all go into the fields, a good understanding of sciences helps make for informed citizens.

• 2 weeks later...