coaming issue

cornfedred

I am building a Sea Flea for my son, using Jeff Horton's book as my construction guide. I lashed most everything together yesterday, but my coaming seems to be too long. The cross sections are 18" from centerline to centerline, making them 17.5" clear. Then the coaming is 19" clear. Even with the angle from back to front, my coaming is hanging way over my cross sections. Do I make new smaller comings, move my cross sections further apart or remake the cross section in front taller? Any help is appreciated. Also, being new to kayaks, it seems that the area that my son will put his legs through is a bit small-only 5" tall at the center and 4" at the sides. Is that enough? He is only seven and not a big child.

I don't remember off the top of my head how far apart I put the cross sections on my son's Sea Flea, but the coaming definitely is larger than the width between the two.  He hasn't had any issues with this.  Here are some pics illustrating it:

Sea+Flea_coaming.JPG

seaflea_interior.JPG