Another ok20 build

Guys I've started my ok20. Frames are all about done and now I've started on the stem and keel. Just a couple of quick questions.... I didn't buy the kit so I must cut out the stem myself. My question is how many scarfs should it receive? On my construction drawings it shows 9 scarfs. But on my 1:1 mylars it's only showing 1. It's right at the big bend. I didn't know if 1scarf would be okay or not. Then it would get another scarf where it attaches to the keel.

Also when it's time for assembly should I go ahead and glue up the doublers then place the frames into position or wait till the frames are put into place and then attach the doublers.

Last question... On the transom should I go ahead and do a rough cut out (leaving 1-2" around the whole part)of the shape on all layers then glue on the jig.. Or should I glue all layers on the jig then place template, trace and then cut..

Everyone's builds are looking great!! I can't wait to get mine as far long as some of yours!!

Thanks

Matt

hello matt, I am trying to contact Graham, to ask him some explanations on the boat Ocracoke 20, but we can not communicate. I would like to ask you a question, because I still have not figured out: must i cut the jigs by myself with a jig saw or when i buy the plans, i have autocad files to be included in a cnc machine for cut jiggs?

Cristiano

Yes you have to cut them yourself. I used a good quailty Bosh jig saw. He does sell a kit that has all of the frames cut for you and also the stem. You don't receive any type of cad files. I talked with graham this morning and he was able to answer all of my questions and concerns. Nice fella. As for cutting the frames yourself..... It's not to bad. It's very time consuming. If I had to do it again I would probably just go ahead an buy the kit. I just hope that my cuts are good enough. I have the frames within less than .5-.25mm tolerance. But don't let it scare you. Like I said its not to bad. The drawings are easy to understand but the stem scarfs.

Hi Matt

I have glued the last layer on my keel today, just about done. As far as the stem goes, I have as many as 3 joints in the 3 layers. As long as you stagger the joints as much as possible you should be good. I glued the doublers on the frames as they where being fabricated. I cut the transom layers from a template, then laminated the layers on the transom jig as per blueprint. I will try to attach a couple of pictures of my keel.

Gregpost-1210-0-22836400-1398982341_thumb.jpgpost-1210-0-22836400-1398982341_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I’m about to start work on my OK 20.

So I have a question: Since I have a problem to source a specified in plans piece of wood for stem (Darwin...) can I glue 2 boards to get required dimensions?

And correct me if I’m wrong, them scarfs are just type of ‘tempered’ joint?

Since English is my second l. it is going to be fun. :D

Excellent work guys, I hope my one will turn out so nice.

Mariusz