Tangerine Canoe

soarrich

OK, I bought the plans for the Tangerine canoe. I've read the book two times, he calls it a manual, but it is a book, and a very good book at that. I've decided to use redwood which I can get in eighteen foot lengths to avoid splicing, and it's beautiful stuff. I'm hoping the 18 foot pieces will rap around the perimeter of a 16 foot canoe, if it doesn't I'll have a 15 1/2 foot canoe. :^)  I went with the 11oz. covering, it seems that will add between 1 and 1.3 pounds to the boat so I'll be watching weights very closely as I build this. The plans seem to be missing the 8.0 station for the hardback, I just need to know how deep the keel slot goes in it. I'm going to go get the redwood later this week then start ripping the long lengths.    

• 2 months later...

If you haven't purchased the redwood yet, I would strongly suggest avoiding it for structural use in a boat. Redwood has a very short and brittle fiber and is quite easy to break. WRC is much stronger and will bend around the curves much easier, as well as providing much better overall strength.