Help? When to fillet bulkheads/ stringers to bottoms?

striperick

I am building the Outer Banks 20 and batting around a plan of attack.

I have all the bulkheads, transom, chine battens,stem and keel in place. I will in the next couple of days have both bottoms and chines glued in . I have purposely left out the solid wood side stringers so I can have access clean up messes between inboard ,outboard stringers, bulkheads and bottoms.

My concern breaking the bond of inboard/outboard stringers bulkheads and bottoms during rollover. I will probably do the tires on ground and every man woman and child available type flip.

I have on hand Cabosil,Glass Microspheres and 1/32 milled glass fibers.

I see 2 options.

A) Do all my vertical and horizontal fillet work now before side stringers and plywood sides. I know this is working against gravity . I am comfortable  mixing thick enough working upside down.  Upside  I see is a stable unit during rollover. Downside  will I lose the "wet on wet " strength when I eventually epoxy and tape interior months from now.

B) Do the fillet work later and hope for the best during rollover.

Does anyone have a mixture for fillet they would like to share?  My supplier  recommends 1 part milled glass fibers/ 2 part glass microsospheres and cabosil.  Sound Right? Thanks

Rick:

Can't help you with your bulkhead question. What I'm doing is a different build process. But as for the fillet mixture, for structural issues, I'd leave the microspheres / micro balloons out of the mix. Those are for fairing and to make sanding easier. The cabosil and micro fibers.....yes. The mix I'm using for fillets, etc. is 2 parts pine flour, 1 part cabosil and one part micro fibers, all by volume. I've seen the microfibers described as "rebar" for your epoxy. That would seem to be a good thing to have for the larger structural fillets, most of which will be buried under at least one layer of glass tape.

MAS and others are offering a cellulose thickening agent that some are using instead of cabosil. Called Cell-O-Fill. They say it doesn't go airborne like the cabosil does and is more of a micro-fiber like product.......at the microscopic level, resembling a coiled spring. They claim it is for structural applications too. I've experimented with it and it seems to me that equal volumes of the cellulose thickener does bulk up more and thicken faster than either wood flour or cabosil.

BTW, we started an epoxy thread that covers much of this:

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8928-epoxy-tricks/page-2