Bow framing question. CS17

acreew

I have installed the framing for the hatch and will put in the king plank next:

Do the transverse members and king plank need to follow the arc of the forward bulkead and deck beam? It appears that the deck would be very flat otherwise.

Thanks for any help,

Will

Yes, they do. Think of it as a section of cylinder. Spend time working on this because if you don't get it right you'll see the humps/flats every time you're in the boat. I start with the forward bulkhead when I build mine. I try to get the arc as fair and true as possible. Shave and fill as needed using a nice batten. When that is where I want it I pull a string from the center of the bow through (and past) the center point of the bulkhead arc. Hook it to a vertical stick that is clamped to the C/board case. The peak of your deck beam will be on that line. If you notch the invale for your deck beam you can put an oversize beam in and mark where the string intersects it. Then using another string or straight edge -PARALLEL to your center-line string-delineate the entire curve on the deck beam. Band saw the top line, fair it check it. When you like it cut the bottom. Now you have 3 points of reference and every time you run a straight edge parallel to the center line it should touch exactly -invale, bulkhead, deck beam. Given that you can develop all the other framing in that section. The reason I do it like this is the boats never unfold exactly like they should, so if at this point, you just go and cut everything as per plans most likely things will not fit right. Good luck PeterP