Stonefly Splashed

bobsim

post-3846-0-33800500-1395990211_thumb.jpg

Yep, the paint cured and there was a window yesterday morning with light winds so we hit the river. Had the ramp to myself and took my time getting comfortable and looking for leaks before heading out. No leaks and entry was a breeze, only issue was the cushion I use for a seat had me about 4" above the floor and she felt a tad tippy. I noticed at a certain point of chining she would steady though and thought that more weight or lowering my butt would help but it wasn't uncomfortable enough to change my plans. 

My main concern was Jeff's comment about maneuverability and something about a barge, but I didn't have the issue. Even after getting sideways in the wind she would straighten out easily enough and after two landings I had confidence. Yes this boat tracks well and maneuvering is work but certainly do-able, big relief for me. Jeff, I think you're too hard on her.

My plan was to paddle out to a small island on the Saint Johns and back, about four miles. The first half of the loop was against the last of the incoming current and into a northeast wind of 5-8. I think I averaged around 2 mph but the speed doubled on the return. Light chop and small wakes from commercial traffic to deal with but no problems. The only time I was spooked was trying to get a picture of a lot of swallows, swifts (?) they were like a cloud buzzing around and following them trying to get a picture I was pointing the camera straight above me and whew! That was close. One of those 'don't do that again' moments.

All said it was a success, even the backrest was comfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing how the boat leans on the chine but I'll wait for the river to warm up a bit first. 

Here's a link to the trip and more pictures: http://web1.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2715687  There is an icon for stats on the lower right of the screen that shows speed. The website does have some bugs going on, hope it works for you.

Thanks Jeff!

Yeah, I know it's butt ugly. 

I will say though I can spend a full day on it and not hurt. It's full of styrofoam beads and well, it works. Simple matter to unzip it and take out some of the beads but it's too messy to do outdoors. Also good flotation and a seat/pillow whenever you need one.