Reskinning a boat

Kudzu

I get asked about reskinning fairly often and I need to reskin my Stonefly. So might as well document what is involved. But I can tell you it is basically the same as skinning except for cleaning up the frame once the skin is off.

This is the boat that I am going reskin.

Posted Image

We had a puppy that chewed on everything and she decided the bow of the Stonefly looked tastey too!  I don't use this boat so I haven't ever fixed it, but I want to fish a little this year and I want to work up a set of outriggers so I can stand and fly fish from it.  I don't have a clue how to do that yet. i want something that is easy to put in place and easy to remove and stow while seated. This is going to take some thought!

Since I take this boatt to the shows I am going to upgrade it some. Brasss stembands, floors on top of the frames, and debating on whether to varnish or tung oil the frame. I think varnish makes sense the way I use this one but not sure yet.

I thought about changing the color but I don't know what I could do that I would like better?  I am tired of the color but when I look at the photos I can't imagine a color I would like better?

I am too! About the only thing I know is I wan to use the tapered end buoy of lobster float. That seems like a good choice and nothing to build. PVC would work but I want tapered ends.

I have tossed around a lot of ideas but quick release and set up behind me is going to be interesting.

Shot the de-skinning process a little while ago. Will be a couple of days before I can get back to it.

That is way to large and it can't be removed quickly. I don't want Training Wheels on it, I just want some stabilizers I can put down when I get to where I am going to fish so I can stand up and cast. I want to be able to stow them or fold them up so they don't add to the drag load. I don't need a lot of flotation, I just want enough to allow me time to regain my balance if I wobble. 

Something more like this, but the frame made from wood preferably.

Posted Image

When fishing from my yak I've thought about a small hull a 'trailer' if you will to pull behind the boat with an integral livewell and some storage. I know paddling with something in tow would open a can of headache but it could be done. How about a 'trailer consisting of the pontoons and you could incorporate your paddle to support them?

This spring I hope to try using my existing paddle. and deck rigging to stabilize things for stand up fishing.

Using a main paddle on one side, and a storm paddle on the opposite side with water wings, or foam attached to each blade might work. The crown of the deck would allow the paddle to slide out and hopefully contact the water at a reasonable distence from the kayak.

Never mind, we are talking about a canoe, not a kayak.

The other idea I have thought about is to build a sealed hollow tube that goes through the hull just above the water line. Using a paddle that has a fitting that breaks it down into two pieces one could insert the paddle into the tube opening on each side creating outriggers.

• 2 weeks later...