Add foot bar or braces AFTER skinning

mwagner

Hi all,

I did try to post earlier but not sure where it went so if this is a double post please feel free to let the moderator delete it.  I rescued an old Clark Craft canvas kayak and sewed on a new skin.  Wish my research went deeper than just watching Jeff's sewing video and jumping right in as some sort of foot rests would be sure nice to have.  The gunnels are about 5/8" thick and the stringers are close to 1/2" X 5/8".  The frame isn't like Jeff's fuselage in that only every other frame is plywood with a half plywood on top and thin rib on the bottom in between. 

All I have come up with is a loop of webbing running forward from the seat but not too comfortable that my feet wouldn't get tangled as I am still learning and thus have lots of wet exits.  Maybe someone on this forum has built a boat without foot rests and has some good ideas on how to build them or added the store bought rails.  I include a picture of the frame after I took the old wood and canvas off and then of the frame forward from the coaming after the nylon was sewed on. 

Apprediate any and all feedback. 

Thanks,

Mike

post-2946-0-95614000-1395192203_thumb.jpg

post-2946-0-75071600-1395192218_thumb.jpg

Get rid of that loop! That is just asking for trouble.

Adding commercial footrests is going to be hard because you have no access inside. Reaching the front with head and arms inside the boat is going to extremely hard.... but not impossble I guess?

Only thing that comes to mind is a float bag but that is not a good foot rest and would be hard to get the exact location you wanted. 

If I was looking at the boat I might be able so design and build something, but not just from photos. Someone may have a an idea. I am just wasting your time.

What would I do

I can picture myself with the kayak supported up in the air, upside down at just the right angle, with me trying to work in it standing up.

I would think a fixed wood box structure or bar frame of the proper depth  resting or secured against the frame at your feet.

I have to think this through. There is a way

I am envisioning a simple one with two outer boards, left and right, notched to set over a frame front and back (lash them at the rear where you can reach them glue notch on front when installed?), with a foot rest mounted between these boards as far forward as need be, wouldn't be adjustable, well you could figure out a way to make it adjustable, but im just thinking simple right now.

I had an adjustable footrest bolted to pieces of wood tied between stringers. I didn't notice that a bolt was loose until after I skinned it. This was before it was shrunk and painted.

I was able to open the weave of the 8 oz. polyester just enough to make a hole for a screwdriver to tighten the bolt. I was able to push the weave back in place and the hole was never there!

This may be helpful.

Gary in Wake Forest

• 1 month later...

I added this to a skinned kayak. Perhaps inelegant but it works and is adjustable and removable. Fits between the keel and the central deck stringer. The only change to the kayak frame is a small wood strip glued to the top of the keel. Further explanation available if necessary.

post-2616-0-94612100-1400223748_thumb.jpg

post-2616-0-54776300-1400223753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1