Nimrod build

msaxton

Hi Sugarbaker, thanks so much for looking into this for me. I still can't figure out how to upload an image but even without sketchup, when I add up the absolute heights on paper (Z AXIS)  of the fore and aft stations and the bow and stern pieces, the bow and stern are too big. Banging my head against the wall and sitting in the moaning chair haven't helped either. 

I can't offer any advice on the programs because I don't use computers.

My analog advice would be to get the boat built to the point that it's time to tie in the stems, then I'd make a cardboard pattern of what I thought the stem shapes were, and clamp them to the stringers to verify/modify my cardboard patterns. Make plywood stems from your cardboard patterns.

Worked on the FreeB.

• Like 1

Ok,

So I have taken the time to loft up these coordinates in Sketchup (enough to refresh my memory of how I laid this out before).  First photo is the bow, using the bottom of the fore-most frame section as the origin.  What I would do, as Action Tiger has suggested would be to cut out the Bow and Stern (same alignment issue with the stern as seen in the second picture) and then adjust them to fit the frame during the build process.  The shape will be correct.  My feeling is when looking at the peak of the boat... the bow could easily be dropped the ~1/4" that the coordinates indicate and the profile of the boat would still maintain a flowing curve.  The other thing to remember, is that you will be cutting a relief in the bow and stern where the keel extends into it.  between this relief and the profile you can add to the keel when complete, you may not need to alter the position of the bow and stern at all.  I agree though, that without some adaption during the build process, the coordinates may cause confusion.  

I will continue to work on this model in my spare time to see if I can illustrate my intention more clearly.

Bow

Bow%2BNimrod%2BSketchup%2BModel.png

Stern

Stern%2BNimrod%2BSketchup.png

An additional observation that leads me to a new conclusion (I should remind any readers that I have not built this boat myself, this is purely an exercise in modeling and working with the free plans that Jeff has provided.)

As I look at the deck line of the stern, I see that in Jeff's original line drawing of a completed nimrod, the deck has very little or no arc in the profile at the stern... 

PB2_Linesplan.jpg

as I look at a new view of the sketchup model, I see that as the coordinates are entered, the result would be a slight upward curve in the deck-line.  Moving the stern down 1/4" to match the keel at the last frame point would result in a straight rear deck profile.  The picture here shows the deck in the original position... note the lines I've added at the top that connect the last 4 frame pieces and then the line that connects the tip of the stern with the top of the frame (4th from the stern).

As moving the stern (or bow) down 1/4" gives a smoother profile to the boat with less abrupt change in the line, I would maintain the exact shape of the stern and bow as written in the plans, but then put them in place when building such that they are in line with the keel.  Again, I emphasize that I would not change the shape of these pieces at all, only their position in space.

better%2Bstern%2Bcompare%2Bnimrod.png

I have slept since I designed this, but I wouldn't trust that drawing is exactly right.  It might be an older version and not the latest representation. The stern deck line looks funny to me.

Something to keep in mind, the traditional way to lay these out is to plot the points, Spring a batten (thin strip of a very straight grained board) along the points. A proper batten will assume a fair curve and assuming just small variations, the batten is given priority.  since points have to be rounded off to nearest ... 1/16 I think, there is some small inherent difference so the batten is chosen over the exact point plotted

With some additional modeling, and moving the stern and bow pieces down 1/4" but maintaining their shape, it looks like everything will piece together smoothly.  But really all of this is speculation, as Jeff has explained, the real shape will come into it's own based on how the stringers sit when building. 

Here is a pic of the bow and the stern.  Keeping in mind that Sketchup is not great at building curved splines (at least I am not aware how), the screenshots here do not show the complex curves of the gunwale.  Also in my haste, I did not add a relief for the seat planks as described in Jeff's books.  Regardless, these models should give a pretty good idea how frame cross sections will sit with the keel, deck stringers, bow and stern sections.

Right%2BSide%2BProfile.png

A couple more views

Bow%2Bin%2Bproper%2Bposition.png

Stern%2Bin%2Bproper%2Bposition.png

And after a few more hours of work... Gunwales added.  No small task in Sketchup, as the software doesn't like compound curves that move through different planes.  May be easy for someone who uses the software all the time, but taxing my ability!  

The dark blue components follow the curve of the frames... as well as the twist that occurs as you fit it in place.  Next up will be the stringer that creates the hard chine to the boat.  Stay tuned.

Nimrod%2Bwith%2BGunwales.png

Wow you guys! Thanks so much for the help. Your sketchup model looks great Sugabaker. I'll see if I can get somewhere similar and if I can't I'll just start cutting and make adjustments like action tiger suggested.

I think that the mistake I made was to plot the bow/stem pieces on their own and squared off the last coordinate with the Y axis at a right angle. It looks to me like you made a curve down from the point to meet the deckline of the station, which if I'm interpreting that correctly, makes total sense. 

Thanks again for all of your input, I'll keep you all posted on the build and thank you Jeff for the plans!

• 6 years later...

Wow! Almost 8 years since i built the Nimrod. Many happy paddles and life changes since then. I lived in Duluth Minnesota when I built it, but moved to Florida over four years ago. Absolutely love no winters!

This boat was a labor of love building it and Ive enjoyed many excursions in it all over Lake Superior up north and off the east coast and gulf coast of Florida.

Earlier this year , after four years of Florida heat and sun it was time to reskin the Nimrod, so I stripped it all down to the fuselage, and got all of the stuff to rebuild it.

But sadly have not had the time to get it going, and nerve issues in my arm have forced me to stop riding motorcycles and I just don't paddle as much anymore. Considering selling it as a project but unsure just yet.

Anyway, just thought id jump back in here after all these years and do a little update.

• 1 month later...

Possibly for sale as a project.

Hi all, I was one of the first to build the nimrod 8ish years ago and documented it here. It turned out great and has been a fantastic boat, almost effortless to paddle and very true, strong, and seaworthy.

I lived in Minnesota at the time but moved to Florida 4+ years ago. I have enjoyed paddling this craft all over lake superior, (including during a quite rough storm on purpose to really test its abilities with airbags in it, was awesome!) Ive also done a few extended trips on the Mississippi river, as well as some excursions on the ocean and gulf coasts of Florida. 

With lack of storage space it sat outside in the weather in Florida and i found that it was time to strip it all down and re skin it which i have started on..

Sadly, i have developed some nerve issues that have really limited my paddling days and mostly just go short paddling with my smaller plastic yak these days.

With Jeff's permission, i am seeing if there is any interest in someone buying this project from me.

Here is where it stands at the moment:

It is still straight and true as the day it was built.

it is stripped down to the fuselage and hanging in my porch, I have retied some of the sinew but have a little more to do and have the sinew to do it.

I also have the new skin material and thread to skin it as well as the following:

both the old and new hatchtes

the original air bags that were still holding the initial air i put in them four yeas ago(will need new tubes and valves)

new deck lashing and stainless deck cleats

original steam bent oak coaming, does need some attention

my hand made cedar paddle can see that among the build pics

both skin boat books signed by Jeff

im sure there is more im not thinking of right at the moment.

With a little more sinew tying this is ready to skin, put hatches and coaming on, seal coat, then paddle! Great opportunity for someone to skip a lot of time building

anyway if anybody is interested you can message me on here and ill give you my# so we can communicate easier. Im located in Lorida Florida which is south central near Lake Placid/Sebring area.