First test bags

Kudzu

I just made my first set of bags. These are for testing purposes and learning the ins and out of making these.  I made a small pillow from some scrap to try out a new fitting I found.  I don't think I like it after looking at it. It functions fine but it is so big and bulky looking that I am not sure I want to use it.

Tell me what you think. Which one do you like better? 

Posted Image

I was looking that fitting I was using and realized that if I turned it around it would look smaller. I think I like this a lot better. I just need to remember to go easy on the sealer. 

Posted Image

Now I just need to let these sit overnight and see if they are properly sealed. I had a little problem with the pillow but I think I tracked down what I did wrong.

If you did then you have that fold to seal over, 4 layers and that would be a leak source for sure.  I could seal closer to to edge with some experience but some folks like grommets in ends so they can pull the bags up in the boat. They put a small pulley and line in before skinning.  Tupperware boaters sometimes need tie them in place. So I have to leave a flap to add brass grommets which I will be adding to them.

Fittings look fine, as do the bags in general. One thing to remember is to make the length of the inflation tube longer on the front bags. I bought some about a year ago based purely on fit for my Curlew and they were both sold as rear bags. It is very difficult to inflate the front one because the tube is too short.

Remember I use these in my boats  so the hose lengths are sized to fit  my boats.  I have one that is two short and have to crawl up inside the cockpit to inflate it. Very annoying doing hand stands at the launch.

One thought I had is is to put in a really short tube coming out of the center of the bag with a 90 elbow. With a nice barbed elbow they will stay in place with no glue. Then you can put it in your boat with the hose going either way.  You could replace the hose or trim one that is too long.  

I have one that is two short and have to crawl up inside the cockpit to inflate it. Very annoying doing hand stands at the launch.

Yep, I can relate to that! Would have been OK 25 years ago.

PD - you're right I could modify the tube but I've been too lazy so far. One day the annoyance will overide the procrastination and I'll fix it.

To everyone else about to build a boat - buy a set of Jeff's bags when you order the plans, you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

Finally have pricing on the bags.  They are slightly higher than I had was shooting for but the fabric prices are killer.

They are not listed in the store yet but here is a price chart. Probably be a couple of weeks before you can order them.

Latter on I want to offer  custom sized bags for other boats.

SMALL  SET  $75  * Shad, Ravenswood, Curlew, Cast Away

MEDIUM SET  $80  *  Short Shot, VARDO, Messabout 15

LARGE SET  $85 *   Long Shot, Firefly, Sling Shot

Each bag is closely matched to your boat. There are 7 or 8 different bag sizes in Small size category. It is not a one size fits all deal. Just to much variation in the boat and I want the bags to fill as much space as possible.