Question for EVERONE!

Kudzu

Do you ever store items in you boat behind the seat when your paddling? A simple yes or no will do.

The reason I ask has to do with float bags. I believe float bags should be as large as possible to keep the maximum amount of water out of a boat. I want my float bag to fit  right up the frame behind the seat. But if a lot of people do carry items there then I will need to offer a shorter bag option.

I do not store anything in the kayak, but then, all I do is short couple hour day trips.  I think the issue with float bags would be for people with hatches.  But I suppose one could load the boat then inflate the bag and live with less inflation on trips with gear.

I use a Spirit Line float bag in the stern of my Ravenswood. Uninflated, it is about 53 inches long, 21 inches wide at the wide end, and 8 inches wide at the narrow end. It fits behind the frame at the after end of the cockpit. I stow my paddle float, which is composed of three 18-inch pieces of pool noodle lashed together, aft of the seat and forward of the frame.

Fair winds, Andy

I was... well still am, considering offering the rear bag with a 12" shorter option. That leaves the space behind the seat open. On boats like Shad and Long Shot it isn't easy to get to this space with a Redfish seat and back band in place. But the more I think about it the less I like the idea. 

Besides, I think I have something like 16+ different size bags now to fit all the different boats! That is after combining some that were close. I may end up combining a few more after I built a couple.

How critical is the actual design and shape of an air bag?  I mean, if it is too large, won't it just expand to the skin and then tell you there is no more room for more air?  Lengths would seem to me to be the critical dimension.  Trial and error may be the only way to test for what is really critical and what isn't.

• Like 1