Hot Climates boat cover color related to epoxy degradattion

Dale Niemann

I am trying to decide which color boat cover to get for my Marissa 18 'Salty'.

I want to get a dark charcoal color Sunbrella but am worried about it getting too hot under it and causing epoxy degradation. I have been told the dark colors last longer and I like it best.

I live in Clearwater Florida.  High temps in summer usually go no higher than 96 degrees Fahrenheit.  Boat is on a lift. Do I have much risk here?

Anybody out there have any information or opinions about this question?

thanks,

Dale

The blue SunBrella stuff seems to last the best. There's a spray on product available from RV stores, that is designed to prevent UV damage to those roll up awnings used on Winnebago. There's lots of RV stores where you are so run down and have a look as the stuff works well. I know guys with white awnings (imagine that in FL) and their getting many years out of them.

Heat on epoxy will soften it once you get over 150 degrees and under a black cover you will, but not under SunBrella, though under a dark cover 140 wouldn't be unreasonable. Epoxy will not degrade, just soften a little, though things under high load may "creep". Stick a thermometer under a dark tarp at mid day and see what you get. 140 is safe, 150 pushing it, 160, you're getting some softening.

I live in Clearwater Florida.  High temps in summer usually go no higher than 96 degrees Fahrenheit.  Boat is on a lift. Anybody out there have any information or opinions about this question? thanks,Dale

Florida UV damage to glassed (epoxy) decks is a real threat - Ive got the pics to illustrate ;( - so doing a cover is truly the solution for the boat while at the dock/lift. As far as temps - PAR gave you what you need.If your cover is strictly for use when on the boat lift (not for trailering) then maybe look for ways to give some clearance for ventilation - prop it up or leave open at the ends maybe. If you allow for good circulation that will go a long way to keeping the temps down.Cheers,

The biggest damage from boat covers on a lift isn't UV, but abrasion. A tight fitting cover looks nice, but will easily eat through paint and clear coatings. The best solution is a hard roof, but if it has to be soft, space it off the boat like Tom suggest, so wind piping through don't cause the fabric to rub the finish off your boat.

Thank you very much PAR and Tom.  I am also worried about the abrasion so will try to space it off the boat and leave some ventilation. The gentleman who will construct the cover said that Sunbrella will breath which should help avoid moisture buildup but not sure if it will help the temps.

I am trying to decide which color boat cover to get for my Marissa 18 'Salty'.

I want to get a dark charcoal color Sunbrella but am worried about it getting too hot under it and causing epoxy degradation. I have been told the dark colors last longer and I like it best.

I live in Clearwater Florida.  High temps in summer usually go no higher than 96 degrees Fahrenheit.  Boat is on a lift. Do I have much risk here?

Anybody out there have any information or opinions about this question?

thanks,

Dale

Spent enough time in that area to recommend "Seagull Shit Grey" as a wise choice; pelican poop is harder to match ;-)