Kayak roof top carrier

CaptDon

I'll be building a Kudzu kayak this summer at the Chincoteague Bay Field Station and need to get it home.  My vehicle is a 1973 CJ5.  I'm thinking of having a rack custom built for it, but the builder needs dimensions.  How can you help me?  Any suggestions for a currently available rack? 

Any roof rack with 2 cross bars can work, you don't need anything custom.  Balance the kayak on the cross bars and tie it down.  I suggest a line over the kayak from side to side at both cross bars and a line at the bow and stern to either bumper.  Maybe even 2 lines to the front bumper at each end of the bumper.  Some vehicles have tie rings under the bumpers for towing and/or for this purpose.  I built custom hull shaped supports to go on the cross bars of my pick up.  They are coped out of a 2x6 to the shape of the hull at the points that rest on each cross bar.  This way the kayak is supported by the keel and both bilge stringers at both cross bars.  I also padded them with an old heavy towel stapled in place.  I have found that this way I can really tighten the tie downs and not worry about distorting the hull.  It also means that my kayak can not slide forward or aft even without bow and stern lines to the bumpers.  I still use a single bow line for long trips just to be safe.  Cross winds on the highway can be real trouble.

post-442-0-21094000-1387495578_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good suggs and nice rack from Dave above.  For a one=time trip could be as simple as some foam pads/1/2 swim noodles on your top frame/windshield or hard top with lines run under the top at the door openings, and fore & aft lines from the bow & stern to bumper holes/tow eyes.  Just keep everything snug but not over-tight to distort the boat's frame.  For frequent carries might look into racks by Yakima/Thule/Malone that may be designed for your model and year Jeep and then add commercial or custom cradles to the bars.  I've scored lots of low cost Y/T/M good used parts off eBay once you know what you need/would like. Just thoughts, R

• Like 1