A Christmas gift * free plan

Kudzu

Still working on this but I have decided to offer free offsets for a new boat I am working on. Its a 17' (+/-) Sea Kayak.  I am still working out the details but I hope to have this available by Christmas.  Got to come up with a name too.

It will around 17' foot long. 23 inches at the Gunwale (which really tells you nothing). Like most of my boats I believe in giving up a little stability for efficiency so it will be a bit tender for a first timer but not so much you can't learn to paddle it. More details coming.

Merry Christmas!

Posted Image

Is this the boat that you were doing as your take on the Iggy lines plan or another boat entirely? Looks very nice and like it could be fitted with hatches for some weekend camping.

You could name it the "Kitaa", which is Greenlandic for West Greenland, a nod to the design's origins.

Al

I just joined this forum because I want a winter project of building a sof kayak.  I like the design of the Shad (Greenland) but this new boat is also very apealing.  I have an old knee injury that doesn't allow me to straighten out my leg flat, thus need some cockpit room or a little more room in the 1st. framing in front of the cockpit.  I like the long pointed bow and stern style of the sea kayaks if for no other reason than looks.  Can the framing be modified to allow a little more interior room for my raised knee?  Also, I don't have a source of quality plywood or marine plywood and intend to use cedar 1X2 to buiild the frames. Pin and glue the joints. Is this new design available and is it a better choice than the Shad?  I am a carpenter and can build just about anything.  I have built a log house, all the cabnets and most of the furnature, so I have all the tools and hopefully skill needed.  I have build 2 Barnegate Bay Sneak Box duck boats and a DK-13 stitch and glue kayak also.  DJ

Thank you Mr. Douglas for the welcome.  I see you are a regular "poster" on this form.  Have read lots of your comments.  I am sure I will be looking to you for input.  I am assuming by Jeff's comment that the "new boat" has a larger volume that this might mean it is a little taller and may be just what I am looking for.  I want a boat that has the Greenland Look to it, you know, the long pointed bow and stern.  The look that it will just cut through any wave!  Jeff, when will this boat have plans available for purchase? DJ

I love to build stuff but not several of the same thing.  I built a couple duck boats 30 years ago and hunted ducks in in Saginaw Bay with them.  I built a stitch and glue kayak a few years ago from 3mm wood vaneer that has been in 3 of the Great Lakes around Michigan.  Now that I am retired and my dream retirement home is done, all the furniture is finished and my kids have all the tables, hope chests, hutches they can stand, I want to build myself a little boat I can float around the lake on.  The framing should be easy but the sewing of the skin looks to be a challenge.  The design I am looking for needs to be of a Greenland style but needs to have a high enough coming or long enough cockpit for my knee to be raised somewhat while in a sitting position.  Old injury.  I like the Shad design but don't know if I'll have the required room.  I can probably modify the interior deck frame for the first couple feet in front of the coaming.  What other projects have you build besides the  Curlew?  DJ

DJ, you should be able to get baltic birch pylwood from any Menards in Michigan. You may have to have it shipped to your closest store, but they will get it for you. Also, check around at other lumber suppliers near you. Spend a couple hours making calls and I would bet you can find baltic birch plywood, not birch, "baltic birch" is key. If I can find good plywood in Kansas, and you can't in Michigan, you haven't looked hard enough.

PP you were right.  I had checked with Carter, Lowes, Home Depot and Valley Lumber before.  This morning I checked with Menards in Lansing (about an hour away) and they carry it in stock.  $74.99 for 3/4" and $54.99 for 1/2".  Now, just to figure out which plans to get.  Waiting on some input from Jeff about volume height at front of cockpit (coaming?)  Thanks.  DJ

I am going to try to finalize the design today. But there will still be a good bit of work to do before it is available. It will be offsets only at least for now.

DJinMichigan, if you have flexibility issues you should look at VARDO. It is roomy easy to enter boat. It's a bit large for my tastes but I like smaller boats.  

With Shad you don't sit flat legged nor do you have to wiggle in as with the traditional designs. Once in you can sit with you knee's bent but it is small boat and there isn't much room to really move around. I just park my butt in the boat and pull in my legs. My shins touch the frame going in. But you can alwasy learn to sit on the back deck, feet in and slide into the seat. It takes a little practice but it's not that hard.