New design project

Kudzu

... the Iggy is such a beautiful boat, it might be sinful to put a rudder on it.

That is an understatement!  :blink: Hideous come to mind.

Seriously, the odds off ever seeing one of my boats designed with a rudder is just about zero. I HATE rudders, The only way I can ever see a rudder on one of my boats is if, and that is a really big IF, I were to design a racing boat. Because of the hull shape they often need a rudder but I doubt I will ever do a racing boat.

When I build one of these - which means as soon as Jeff puts the design in the store - I'll probably fit a fixed skeg about a foot long just forward of the aft waterline. The skeg will mostly clear the water when the boat is leaned aggressively, so it shouldn't interfere with intentional turns. I'll bed it with marine caulk and attach it with screws through the keel after attaching the hull skin. For those who don't staple the hull and deck skin separately, you could install a small deck hatch over the installation area.

Jeff, are the plans ready yet?

:)

Chris Cunningham, in his book "Building the Greenland Kayak," discusses three options for adding a skeg to a Greenland-type kayak. These are 1) a small skeg made of wood and attached to the keel before skinning 2) a wood or bone skeg held with straps around the boat after skinning, and 3) a small skeg outside the skin held with a separate piece of skin and some kind of adhesive. See the book for details.

I haven't tried any of these out, because I've never felt the need for a skeg with my Ravenswood or with my semi-Greenland-type plywood boat.

Fair winds, Andy 

• 6 months later...

No, it's still in Slow Cooker but I am still working on it. Incorporated some ideas I have seen. It's coming along nicely and I hope to build one this summer. 

Andy, your Ravenswood was designed not to need a skeg. This one will have so much rocker I expect it to turn rather quickly. That is a great feature in chop but it sucks on long paddles on calm days. Drop down a little skeg and it tightens up the tracking and only when you need it.