Why not another CS17 Build Thread? Here's #366

mattp

By now we are a few steps into our build and I figure we are about due to post some progress.

This is a joint project with a good friend of mine. The plan is to construct the hull in his garage and I will work on any bits and pieces that can be done separately in my smaller garage about 20 minutes down the road. It's working out well so far.

We plan to name the boat HALF FAST in tribute to our favorite mix of epoxy hardener.

Ok, on to some photos:

Centerboard.

post-3398-0-97336900-1382885476_thumb.jpgpost-3398-0-29925600-1382885338_thumb.jpgpost-3398-0-02386600-1382885189_thumb.jpgpost-3398-0-20931300-1382885545_thumb.jpg

We have run into a minor issue. Hull is stitched and inwales are glued in our best estimate of what the typical order should be. When we dry fit the aft bulkhead, the lowest point of the "V" of the bulkhead is too deep by about 3/4". We can easily trim the shape to match the hull but I am afraid to do this until I understand what caused this discrepancy. Both the transom and the bulkhead appear to be cut properly.

Anyone else run into this? Should we have stitched in the bulkhead with the other parts?

Moving right along: We had a relatively productive weekend. Friday evening, we were able to solve our aft bulkhead fit issue by loosening some ties along the center seam. This also cured a a bit of a fishtail shape in the bottom looking towards the transom. Then we finished the cradle, leveled everything up, agonized over the fairness, and finally locked everything in place with epoxy tacks.

post-3398-0-96364400-1383517895_thumb.jpg

post-3398-0-68965600-1383517917_thumb.jpg

Today, we cut out the ties, sanded the tacks and had a big fillet and taping session. I have done this kind of work before but this was the first time I have done everything together; wet tape on wet fillet. Wow! What a tremendous time savings! So thrilled to not have to sand the fillets and I think the quality will be as good or even better.

post-3398-0-00374100-1383519099_thumb.jpg

post-3398-0-81705800-1383519113_thumb.jpg

Today, we cut out the ties, sanded the tacks and had a big fillet and taping session. I have done this kind of work before but this was the first time I have done everything together; wet tape on wet fillet. Wow! What a tremendous time savings! So thrilled to not have to sand the fillets and I think the quality will be as good or even better.

It would have been even faster to skip the tacks as well.  I still wonder why so many are leery to filet and tape right over the ties?

Last night, we finished taping the inside of the bow compartment.  Temps were dropping through the 40's F and were expected to be in the 30's overnight, so we preheated the compartment with work lights and kept the epoxy in my warm car.  When we were done, we left the work lights on and covered up the compartment with scraps and polyethylene.  Kind of had a jack-o-lantern look with the light shining through the translucent epoxy filler.

post-3398-0-06003700-1383673308_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I received the fiberglass this week and am trying to wrap my head around glassing the cb and rudder. I can visualize the cb with its straight lines but with that curvy rudder, I am not sure how to keep the cloth from wrinkling around the edge. My only idea is to start with a narrow strip around the perimeter (except the square trailing edge), followed by a flat sheet cut to shape on either side with small overlap and then maybe another edge strip for durability. Any thoughts?

I glass each side seperately and allow the overlap to beef up the edge.Fiberglass will go aound a compound curve to a degree before one has to clip a dart, and if you have a strip cut on bias - weave 45 degrees to direction of strip - you can wrap that around a serious compound curve. Don't fret to much, just do it - CB first and then the rudder where you8 can employ your new skillset.

I am enjoying these updates. Keep them coming. Good to see your young pirate crew in the pictures too.

I have built a couple of boats now but still find I spend lots of time thinking (fretting) over the next step. It is part of the process. I have sometimes just kicked myself into action, recognizing doing something is almost always better than continued fretting. Like the tabernacle alignment issue, the answer would have come to me eventually ifI had just gone after it, thinking with my hands if you will.

• 2 weeks later...

I was complaining to my build partner about my worries about the coming cold weather and almost certain build delays. Well, I come to find out that his wife kicked us out of the garage...and down to the greenhouse! Man, what an upgrade: more space, light, and heat! She says we gotta go come March, so it's time to get rolling.

Today we fit, filleted, and taped the aft bulkhead then fit and glued the forward bulkhead deck beam. Seemed like a lot of work for little gain, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

Next on to the seats and cb trunk.post-3398-0-81364300-1384735576_thumb.jpgpost-3398-0-64086500-1384735604_thumb.jpg