Ravenswood? Vargo?

vttramper

I am planning for the winter project (you just can't have too many boats) and thinking about either Ravenswood or Vargo. My paddling is primarily lakes and streams with occassional forays onto "big water" - Lake Champlain.  Maybe occassional camping, but I go with lightweight backpacking gear so huge storage is not required. I like the convenience of the Ravenswood size and its performance in the 3-4kt range. It looks like a really fun boat to paddle.  But then I also like the volume and what seems like perhaps a better design for heavier water with the Vargo.

My only insight comes from reading the website descriptions so I would really appreciate any thoughts from paddlers of the two boats.  At the moment I am leaning towards Ravenswood... or maybe Vargo.... or...

Sorry, my sinuses decided they wanted my full and undivided attention yesterday afternoon. Never made it back to the office or a computer.

Either one would probably work, Ravenwood should be fine as long as you're packing light and it sounds as if you are. VARDO (which is a gypsy wagon BTW) is a bit higher in volume, so for serious touring it is the hands down choice. I prefer a small boat so while I love the way it paddles, I don't like all the volume. I feel rather lost inside it. But I like a smaller boat than most people, but not near as small as a true Greenland boat.

Big water handling is as much about your skill set as it is the boat. Knowing what to do and how to keep yourself safe are the bigger concerns. Self rescue and having your roll and things we neglect and  really should be basic skills all kayakers learn from the start. But, there is a lot of personal preference and there is no clear cut answer for me to give you. My thinking is go with whatever suits your majority of paddling and learn to work within it's limitations for the which ever you do occasionally.