CS17 mk3 and CS20 mk3

Designer

Doug, this narrative is really awesome. I'm currently working on a couple of Nymph strip canoes to ply the Adirondacks with, but next winter I want to build a CS20 MKIII. I can't wait to see the finished product, hopefully in person. Any chance you will bring it to the MASCF in October?

Take Care,

Steve

Following this thread with the greatest interest, spoke with Carla, and I will be picking up a CS 20 MKIII at this years MessAbout. Several years ago I built a nesting Two Paws. A very elderly lady lived across the street and she would come occasionally to visit... And to watch the progress on my little dingy. I had completed the fairing, rub rails and the boat was looking really nice. I had primed the boat with hi-fill primer so our neighbor lady thought the boat was finished. When the time came to cut the boat in half, I kinda waited till our neighbor was around on her walk, then started the cut, she suddenly disappeared into her house and called my wife at work, knowing that I had sniffed paint fumes and had gone off my rocker!!

Hope to meet some of you guys at the MessAbout

Jay

• Like 1

I have made an appointment with Island Nautical in St. Pete to do the cabin cover the week before, so she will be at Cedar Key. Whether she is ready for the water may be up for debate. I remember whel Dale launched his CS 17 there. You all should come just to see all the boats.

I put more pictures and comments on my blog at http://capt-doug.blogspot.com

Awesome Doug. If you can get there on Thursday, there is a really fun overnight sail to Wye Island. This past year there wasn't any wind, so I didn't make it, but the year before was just one of the best sails ever, and a great group of people. Your CS would be a nice addition.

Take Care,

Steve 

Great Doug, my wife and I are leaning forward waiting on picking our kit up! We REALLY want to meet you and see your boat and we are waiting on your next blog update.

When you have your hatch cover made, let the fabric folks know to retain the plan that they made yours with, I am a big believer of R&D, ( research and duplicate )!

We have been sailors for a long time, one of my frustrations is the outboard engine, what is the combined thoughts of this braintrust on the Torqeedo electric outboard for e CS20 MKIII? A little more expensive but I hope I won't have to tinker with it as much!

Thanks

Jay

I've used electrics and gas. You need batteries for electric that need to be charged. The bigger the electric---the shorter distance you can go. Solar chargers cannot provide enough power to run on, or recharge quickly. The Torqeedo has a good deal of power and would probably be ok---but re-read above. imagine being out on a large body of water and needing to get in quickly against wind and waves. Will your battery last? As for me, give me my little "kicker" and an extra can of gas. Always flush the salt out, run the gas from the carb., use Stabil, drain the tank and refill with fresh if you won't be using the motor for a longer time (Like over winter.), and do preventative maintenance. I've never been let down since I've learned these lessons. On the Torqeedo, don't forget the cost of batteries (more than one) and their weight.

I know that you'll love the Mk-3. Looking forward to following

your progress.

I went well over a year with no motor and no oars on my CS17 (just a paddle). I say take your pick between electric and gas but remember you've always got the option of leaving the extra weight at home. I haven't had much experience with electric motors but I'd stick with gas if I were going to motor any distance (just my opinion).

I did have the opportunity to run an electric powerboat on one trip. We ran it all day long and charged it all night. The batteries were massive, though (forklift batteries?) It was nice and quiet.

New Pix.  The bottom now has its keel and 3 coats of epoxy and is sheathed in 10 oz. fiberglass to above the joint of the sheer strake.  the rudder has been shaped and the rudder, cheeks, and tabernacle have pivot holes filled to provide bearings for pivot bolts.  She needs to air out and cure a day or two before I paint the bottom and flip her back, but I'm now crawling under her to do some small tasks upside down, and I'll build the masts this weekend.  The long boards the rudder is sitting on are the sprits.  I could not find 2 X 2 clear spruce or ash around here, but I did find 1 X 2, so these are the laminated sprits - probably stronger than plain clear spruce (got it for a reasonable price from Aircraft Spruce in Atlanta, and I saved shipping when I went down to see grandchildren in a dance recital.).

post-396-0-77559000-1397249443_thumb.jpg

The rudder faired with pivot hole filled with thickened epoxy

post-396-0-61778200-1397249567_thumb.jpg

tabernacle with pivot holes filled with thickened epoxy

post-396-0-90197600-1397249650_thumb.jpg

rudder cheeks and doublers with pivot holes filled

post-396-0-12349900-1397249727_thumb.jpg

hatch covers encapsulated in epoxy

post-396-0-51897500-1397249821_thumb.jpg

There boat sheathed in 10 oz cloth and coated with three coats of epoxy.  

Awesome progress Doug. I can't wait to be retired....more time to mess about with boats.

On the question of outboards; we use a 2.3 hp long shaft Honda which pushes our CS17 along @ 5 kts. It's simple (air cooled) and light @ 31 lb. if you want to go faster and farther then a 3.5 or 4 hp. Two oars are better for your heart and body. Cheers, Phil

I would think if you are cruising your boat you would want to know that you can charge batteries rather than discharge them.  Or at least minimize discharge so that you can have lights, radio, GPS, music, phone charging and other comforts.  Battery technology is improving quickly now, but it still takes a lot to be able to operate propulsion from them.

I have to second ricknriver regarding the honda 2.3 hp.   I am a very big fan of my Honda 2.0 (older version of the 2.3) hp 4 stroke air cooled for my CS17.  The centrifugal clutch, 360 degree rotatability, air cooling, light weight, clean, 15 hours of 4 knots on a half pint of gas.  Zero headache.  It's not too loud, but just loud enough that it provides incentive to shut it down when the air picks up.

I can row 'Lively' my CS 17 without unsteping the mizzen.  However, I did set her up with two rowing stations.  The aft station would require removal.  I have rowed her for very short periods and would not like to row her for long periods.  On the other hand at 73 I would not like to row any boat for very long.

Don't know if the rowing stations would be different on the mk3.

dale

The Mark III is optimized for rowing. The mizzen does get in the way in the Mark I for rowing since the seat/thwart is dissected by the mizzen mast. The rowing seat for the Mark III is the bridge deck. Graham's drawings shot an oarsman and the mizzen has been moved aft a bit to make this work better.