Stabilizing a small aluminum V Hull

Frank

Is there any do-it-yourself method to stabilize a 12 foot aluminum v hull boat? I'd like to be able to stand up in it to fish, but it's just too unstable. It's a Sylvan, takes an 8 hp motor and is a fast little craft. Thanks for any help.

Frank,

I have seen a couple fishermen with small aluminum boats as you describe that have fashioned a narrow outrigger that can be extended from the side of the boat and secured when either slow moving or anchored out. It had added enough of a spread to give them a stable base. When they were through for the day they unclamped the outrigger and swing it up to the side of the boat.

Both of them were similar, in one case, a piece of 6-8" PVC pipe was used with the ends closed off by the thin PVC plugs. This was banded to two short sections of what I think was Thinwall conduit and that was clamped across the rail. The other one had a shaped foam pontoon attached to cross pieces that were tied across the rail to the seats.

Both seemed to be very effective, didn't seem to interfer with casting or fishing and not at all in the way when moving.

I would imagine that you could do one off of both sides for that matter and they could be smaller in size. That would add additionally to the stability, but perhaps interfer with landing that whopper. :lol:

Kinda like this:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

I was afraid for a minute there that you would get some advice on bolting on a lead keel to your aluminum fishing boat! (Kind of an inside joke ... many of us built a particular sailboat that has no ballast, and some are modifying it to have a lead bulb keel).

But Barry's solution sounds pretty good. I can't think of another way to accomplish it without modifications to the hull itself, which is something I don't think you'd want to do.

Many thanks Barry et all. The outrigger idea looks good to me. It certainly is worth a try! Thanks again for the help, and I agree that lead will be my last resort...if all else fails and I decide to end it all

You're welcome Frank. Those outriggers don't have to be all that large to add stability. I would think the greatest challenge would be clamping them to your boat. But a little creative bending and plenty of duct tape should solve the problem.

Maybe a couple of those foam coolers could double as flotation and a place to keep the cool ones at the same time. Just don't place them too far away from the side of the boat. :lol:

Y'all come back and let us know what happens!

Women don't have to find you handsome as long as they find you handy!/ Red-Green

Think I borrowed that from another poster. :roll: