Thinning paint

GPStick

Acetone evaporates very quickly.  If painting in a very warm place you might find it hard to keep a wet edge if you thinned with acetone.  That would be the only down side I see for the stuff.  For real varnish I like gum spirits of turpentine.  It evaporates very slowly and makes keeping a wet edge easy even in the warmest of weather.  When in doubt what to use for any given paint reading the label is always allowed. 

Jeff talks about the tape he liked to tape off his boat, I thought I would suggest you try the "Frog" tape.  The one I used was green color, I see they now make a yellow color that I believe is more sticky.  After you lay the tape down, you run a damp cloth over it and it seals along the edge so pain can't bleed under the tape.  I really liked it, keep in mind I have only done one boat to take it for what it is worth to you. http://frogtape.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Just peeled the Frog tape off the Curlew after painting the top.  I forgot to do the damp cloth thing after applying the tape and the tape did keep lifting in a couple of places, no big deal to push back down before painting that section.  Minimal bleed through though and only a couple spots I had to touch up.  Not sure if the damp cloth would have made a difference or not.

Frog tape has a chemical applied to it edges which melts and seals the edge, so acrylics don't "bleed" under it. It works good on acrylics (latex), but I doubt that solvent based paints have the same reaction (haven't personally tested it, but have read some reports). It's about 50% more costly then the blue stuff, but if you use good technique (burnish the tape edge) it doesn't seem to have that much better performance to justify the extra cost.

There are two tricks I use to prevent bleed under the tape. The first is the classic trick of just painting another light coat of whatever is currently there, before adding the different color. This way, all that can bleed under the tape edge is the same color as what's there. The second is to use "fine line" tape. Fine line tapes aren't crape, but usually vinyl, like electrical tape. These leave a dead nuts crisp line, way better then crape paper tapes and best of all can be shaped into curves easily, which is good for graphics.

I've also noticed Frog tape has more "tack" than the 3M blue tape, which can be troublesome on freshly painted surfaces. When using the softer paints (acrylics, oils, single part polyurethanes, etc.) you do need to wait for a good cure, which is often well past 24 hours, before risking a burnished tape on the surface. I use a spoon or ball bearing to burnish the tape edge, which works well. This is the real key, burnsih the edge good, but don't go crazy on the rest of the tape, so it come off easily, but holds a good edge. Lastly once you switch to a fine line tape, you'll never go back to a crape paper tape again, the edge crispness is that much better.

Painting fabric is not the same as painting a smoothly sanded surface. Taping fabric is harder, the texture makes is hard to get a good seal and I find it hard to find any tape that will stay stuck to the fabric and not turn loose.  So any extra adhesion would be a good thing. I prefer 3M's high adhesion masking tape and I have to burnish it to keep it in place.

I had no problem with the Frog tape when I used it with the oil based paint.  I did do it a couple days after I had painted the two primary colors on the boat so the paint had plenty of time to dry.  I decided to put an "accent" strip between the two colors because of the bleed where the two colors meant (I had used painters tape between the two colors).  I put the red line in shown in the picture.  It did a great job IMHO.  It is just an alternative to try. 

post-19-0-74605300-1382974348_thumb.jpg

I had no problem with the Frog tape when I used it with the oil based paint.

Paul isn't saying there is trouble with it.  He is just saying that it is formulated to work with acrylics, not oil based paints.  Therefore the intended advantage does not work and it is no better than regular masking tape. 

I have used fine line tape on one of my SOF boats and found it difficult to burnish on well.  It did however make for a very crisp line as intended.  Tough to work with, but produces great results if you are careful and stay on top of it.

I have tried green and blue tape over a painted skin and had it turn loose before I could get both all the way around the boat. I have been buying 3M High Adhesion #2020 at Sherwin Williams store. .  It is the only thing I have found that sticks well and I still get a little seepage even being very careful. I am anxious to try frog tape. I had seen it be didn't realize how it works. 

I tried Frog and the blue. Neither worked well. I had an old roll of shuretape and it held best on bare fabric and better on paint. With the curved lines I had it was time consuming but the result was great. Posted ImageAs I said before , not a Kudzu but did use Jeff 'a hatches and construction tips. His 11.5 oz fabric was good to work with. I didn't 't find the tip in the archives about not stretching out on the boat. It didn't stretch much any way.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk