CS17 #370 Peggy-O

LennieG

Adding hardware. Have a question ( what's new?): when doing mizzen sheet blocks at aft end of my aft deck CS17, seems like I have two choices as far as placement so that I have a solid fastener to attach blocks.....either screw into the most aft deck beam/transom stiffener with wood screw/machine screw with a point type screws, or move blocks foreward approx 2" and do a through bolt and washer and nut deal thru plywood, into a backing block. Most of the pics show position of aft blocks such that they must use wood type screws.

Seems like too long of a beam to drill trough and screw into with a nut.

What say you?

Pics to explain question:

post-3404-0-28781500-1427157004_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-63460800-1427157017_thumb.jpg

I say use a SS wood screw. I think a coarse thread 2" screw into the transom beam (biggest size that will fit in the hardware hole) with a properly sized pilot hole is plenty strong here. My 17 mizzen sheet block pad eyes are fastened this way and are holding strong. If it bothered you, you could router a narrow dado into the transom beam from inside (kind of a tight squeeze) and slip a nut into the dado and in that way use a machine screw but I think that would be overkill. I would do the backing block option last resort. Extra weight, extra work.  

Mine are on the transom with screws and have had no problems.  Actually, they are currently in a box while I wait for my gal to re-paint and varnish 'Lively'.  Progress is very slow.  She has to many big yachts to do this time of year. Always follow Alan's advice.  He knows what he is doing.

dale