CS17 #370 Peggy-O

LennieG

Made a little progress. thurs we got the bottoms/sides joined and all went well. Today got only one of the seat stringers on.....can't say this was a fun project. It's a big piece of flimsy board to move around with danger of ruining the new joint attaching side and bottom at the bow end. I believe it will hold. we shall see Monday. There were two of us today, and kind of in a rush. I would recommend three sets of hands for this task. Good news is ripped the stringer bevel on table saw for both stringers so saved a step later in process. Will post picture Mon and planning grand opening for Tues.

Made a little progress. thurs we got the bottoms/sides joined and all went well. Today got only one of the seat stringers on.....can't say this was a fun project. It's a big piece of flimsy board to move around with danger of ruining the new joint attaching side and bottom at the bow end. I believe it will hold. we shall see Monday. There were two of us today, and kind of in a rush. I would recommend three sets of hands for this task. Good news is ripped the stringer bevel on table saw for both stringers so saved a step later in process. Will post picture Mon and planning grand opening for Tues.

Congrats on your build!Remember the mantra of boatbuilding sites... "Pictures or it didn't happen."And, you need to commit to your planned completion date - so we can all revel in you missing it as you go along, just like we all do ;)Cheers,

Good point Tom ....will provide pictures. As far as a date, plan to not have one, so I enjoy the journey and don't force things, rush and mess up, like I most likely did yesterday. Have a good plan for second stringer. Will build a 2x4 frame around sides and bottom so I am moving the frame, not the 17+' of flimsy ply. Here is a picture from B&b website of the task.

Hope things are well in Salem....I am from reading originally. Go Pats!post-3404-0-90973100-1379849891_thumb.jpg

OMG1 - A "Reading" guy, I lived there for a few years when I was starting out (the 60's ;)

OMG2 - Looks like you have a "CNC Kit" version of the 17' -- wicked! 

Wasn't even aware Graham was that far along with kits. IMNSHO, he needs to update his website to show off the kits more.

Have you run across the various approaches to temporarily reinforcing the location of the butterfly join (while doing the fold-up? 

Looks to be worth the trouble considering the alternative :mellow:

Cheers

Good news. stringer one was fine !

Built a frame around stringer one to move it around, and will do same for stringer #2. Well worth the $30 at Lowes for lumber, and it won't go to waste.

- the thing I don't like about boat building is you keep running into unexpected problems.

- the thing I like about boat building is you keep running into unexpected problems, requiring solutions and patience.....

Good day

post-3404-0-46919000-1379965506_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-69056300-1379965536_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All going well here......did the grand opening ( grand maybe an overstatement in my case.....), wrestled around, broke the cradle, heard plywood cracking, and on and on, but as far as I can tell it all came out well. Now have repaired the cradle and will be nudging Peggy-o into place! bringing the wings in and adding bulkheads and inwales etc.......very pleased and relieved!

Sorry to make you stand on your head to view......IPad with Ios7 insists on putting photos upside down when I attach. Will figure out at some pointpost-3404-0-26458200-1380717021_thumb.jpgpost-3404-0-04353100-1380717048_thumb.jpg

Lennie,

It might be the photos but I am not seeing the temporay frame in yet. The structure will try to close up if the frame is not in place to hold the the middle of the boat in the right shape. I also that the bow ties need to be tightened to keep the both sides aligned. You are almost there, you need to keep an eye on overall symmetry as you finish up with the tying. It is when the structure gets lopsided is when people have issues because one side gets flatter causing its partner bend too much to compensate and reaches its limit and breaks.

Just noticed the slots in the temporary frame for the seat stringers.  I am at this stage of the build and this photo just helped to solve a minor dilemma as to leave the frame in or replace it with a simpler gunnel to gunnel support.  

Will be making holes tommorrow.  

thanks.

David Jost, CS 357  

Blah......been a week buttoning up the boat with stitches on Chines and re do of center line stitches with dowels. its just not right, but getting closer. At end of installing chine stitches the port side was shorter than starboard side by 1/4"....now have it down to 1/8"....see photos on blog. With Graham's help fixed a " bubble" in ply on port front of boat by forcing in fore bulkhead. Working my way aft slowly.....hope it gets close enough to move forward after one more day at it.

Lennieboat.wordpress.com

post-3404-0-72090600-1381347275_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-92566900-1381347294_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-80237600-1381347318_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-14511300-1381347333_thumb.jpg