Old frame, new fabric

GPStick

I haven't been here for awhile and part of my subject is not a Kudzu design but I did want to comment on Jeff's 11.5 oz polyester.  That stuff is TOUGH!  I had used a 12 oz nylon on this frame before but I don't remember how it sewed now, too many years gone by and maybe a few too many others things as well.  Since this boat has typical Greenland stems there were big puckers along the sheer when the fabric drapes over.  I had read in Jeff's book about tight weave fabric and sewing a pocket on each end and following those instructions gave it a try.  The 2 1/2" or more was too much.  I didn't have enough "ass" to pull that out.  So, back to the thinker pose, and some internet research from old sites I had been too before.  With the pucker along the sheer where the fabric breaks over the Greenland style stems I knew I was going to have to do something different.  (why I didn't have this trouble with the nylon I don't know)  Hit upon cutting the fabric, pulling out the pucker, cutting along the stem with about a 1/4" overlap and sewing up the bottom of the bow stem with a flat whip stitch that I varied by doubling it creating the X look.  Then did the pocket in the bow and went to the stern after removing the pocket from the bow.  I settled on a little less than the 2 1/2", pulled the fabric up and took out the pucker but didn't cut it yet.  Then sewed in the pocket with a running stitch and gave it a try.  My last grunt was just enough to get the fabric pulled tight and set in the pockets.  After standing back and admiring my work I found the nerve to cut the fabric open and trim it off like I did on the bow and started sewing down the stem toward the pocket.  I didn't lose any tension doing this which had worried me.  I'm going to sew up to the pocket and stop.  Then flip over and start on the deck seams.  Once I get to the stems I'll remove the pockets and continue the new stitch around and down the stems to connect with the other stitch. 

I'm hoping all that will work.  Still haven't decided upon  whether to use the corded stitch Jeff has in his new vid as that was what was on this boat the first time or just go with a flat stitch.  Needless to say there is a lot of down time studying and thinking before I make a move so this part of the process has been slow.  But, I do like this material better than the loose weave 8 oz.

Joe

I used the braided polyester cord from Wally world.  Don't recommend it but too late to switch.  Doesn't have enough body and can't feel it when rolling the fabric.  In hindsight I'm not sure if stretching this fabric is needed.  Closing up the stern stem stitch was hard work.  Then I had to blend in stitching changes from the corded to non-corded to a flat overlap.  It turned out better than I thought and I spent a lot of time worrying about it as I was sewing.  It does look nice though.  Now, if shrinking won't crush my frame I good to go. 

If anyone wants pic's contact me off line.  Since it's not one of Jeff's designs I don't want to post here.

Joe