Spindrift for the EC

Steve W

I watch the EC every year from my computer sitting on my kitchen table. My wife laughs at the thought of a grown man watching dots on the screen.

This spring if they have it again I'm going to enter my 11N in the Chesapeake WaterTribe OkoumeFest Ultra Marathon. Last years looked to be close to windless, but the 11N rows OK, so my plan is to use it as a shakedown to Florida.  

I've sailed the 11N a fair amount, and I don't think ultimately it has the right sail plan to be a good EC boat. The rig is a bit complicated, and the boom a bit intrusive. Also, the floatation in the N version seems nowhere near what the regular version is. But I do love the hull shape, and I'd like to build another one.

Why not a bigger boat? The truth is that I'd like to do it alone. All my friends (I'm 51)  have slipped into the observation mode of their lives, so finding the right partner for 3-6 days that would actually make it without a medical incident amongst my friends would be nearly impossible. Also, because I live in upstate NY, getting the boat to Florida has to be considered. Luckily my Dad lives in New Port Richey so he could help with the logistics. Throwing an S11 on the roof of my Honda CRV seems more fun than hauling a boat like my Sea Pearl there.

I figure if an Eastport pram can make it, a special Spindrift lightly loaded would be a good candidate. I'm thinking a simpler rig, glassing the bottom two panels and more flotation would make a great candidate for a solo run. What do you all think?

Take Care, Steve

I've sailed the 11N a fair amount, and I don't think ultimately it has the right sail plan to be a good EC boat. The rig is a bit complicated, and the boom a bit intrusive......................... I'm thinking a simpler rig...............

Huh?  1 mast and 1 sail is complicated?

Not a good idea Steve. Sorry.

The same traits that make the Spindrift such a great dingy are it's Achilles' heel.

If you could somehow deck over the entire boat, that would be a good start.

When I ran the checkpoint at Flamingo one year I saw some fine sailors who got to a point out there where they really didn't know if they were going to make it. They chose to pack it in at Flamingo, 30 miles from the finish, and that wasn't an exceptionally bad year.

Nearly every sailor found the leg to be much more than they expected.

Wow, that is sad that your friends in their 50's have already slipped into observation mode. There is plenty of time observing in your 70's and 80's. While I was at The Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Tasmania earlier this year I met a couple who know a crazy Russian guy who sailed around the world in a 15ft dinghy a couple of years ago and then went and did it all over again in a 12ft dinghy. He is next planning to do it again in a 10ft dinghy. Now that is crazy. I don't know the design of the boats but they must be pretty seaworthy. As they say the smaller the boat the bigger the adventure. Good luck and get out there and live.

Alex.

• Like 1

Gordy....more flotation means a partially decked over boat, and even perhaps self bailing with an elevated floor. Carla accidentally sent me the sheet for the non nesting version when I built my 11N, so I have a good idea of the difference. The flotation volume is significant over the nesting version. I've been amazed at how much water the 11N will take, but I'm not delusional to think it doesn't need a lot of modification to be safe and finish.

As for the rig, I think its performance is very good. But it seems that it is very important to have a rig that can be scandalized quickly, reefed easily and also transitions from rowing to sailing and back quickly. The rig was clearly designed for maximum performance, and my goal would not be to win, but to finish.

Alex, it is sad. I play golf occasionally, and I've gotten to the point where I can't find anyone who wants to even walk the course as they are so out of shape. Anyway, I took my Sea Pearl up to Muscungus Bay in Maine for a week with my 3 kids on the Maine Island trail this summer. Most people thought we were nuts. We had a great vacation. We sailed in some pretty heavy weather, and learned about dealing with big tides and rocky shores and we had a great time. We ate lobsters we got from the local co-op, saw hundreds of seals up close, puffins, ate wild blackberries by the pound from remote islands and all kinds of stuff.

If the EC can be completed on a SUP or a modified Eastport pram, I think a heavily modified S11 is a good candidate.

• 1 month later...

At Sail OK Graham showed me one idea to make a Spindrift 12 into an EC boat.  It involved a mizzen and a small forward cabin.  He likes to tinker with various ideas and came up with this one after speaking with someone in charge of the EC.  Not sure if this will go forward, but it is fun to put ideas into CAD to see if they might.

Graham and I were kicking CAD models around of a S12 with a small flush deck cabin and split rig (of course). It is tricky but doable and frankly, i think it would be awesome. The beam could also be brought out a bit for added stability. The idea would be to have a sit in cockpit with forward and side widows so that one could drive in a reefed condition from inside the cabin when the weather is crap. It also needs to have a good rowing position. 4mm plywood throughout, little split rig. We'll just work up the details in our spare time. (if we had any)

-Alan

• 1 month later...

Graham and I were kicking CAD models around of a S12 with a small flush deck cabin and split rig (of course). It is tricky but doable and frankly, i think it would be awesome. The beam could also be brought out a bit for added stability. The idea would be to have a sit in cockpit with forward and side widows so that one could drive in a reefed condition from inside the cabin when the weather is crap. It also needs to have a good rowing position. 4mm plywood throughout, little split rig. We'll just work up the details in our spare time. (if we had any)

-Alan

Had any time to work up a rig? I'm very interested in a expedition S12 as well.

Scott