Core Sound 17 - Graphics/Line Image for Sign

ecgossett

Does anyone have any decent drawings of the Core Sound 17 showing boat, with sail options, and rudder/centerboard, similar to the EC22 page on B&B yachts? How about B&B Logos, or sail graphics?

I'm having a sign made up for the boat show in September, and need graphics, Also ordering new business cards with my simple description of the CS17 on the back..

Here is what I have on the back of the card right now that I hand out when people start asking questions. I had to minimize info to make it all fit.
FAST, SEAWORTHY, ECONOMICAL, STABLE, & EASY TO BUILD
  • Sharpies are long, narrow flat bottomed sailboats, with extremely shallow draft, centerboards & straight, flaring sides. They were traditionally fishing boats used for oystering.
  • The sharpie is characterized by the flat bottom, it is this flat bottom that allows extreme shallow draft & great load carrying ability.
  • They are fast & handy under sail, leading to their adaptation as cruising & racing yachts.
  • One would think that the flat-bottomed hull would be totally unsuitable for rough water; under press of sail, with hull heeled well over, the hard chine between hull bottom and topsides presents a nice V-shape to the waves. This hard chine aides in preventing leeway.
Does anyone have any suggested info for sign, and or ideas (HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED)? I would like to print waterproof photo page's of different Core sound 17's to have next to the sign on boat..

If you are talking about the CS-17, then the information is mis-leading. True sharpies do have a flat bottom, but the Core Sound series of boats by Graham don't. The similarity to the old sharpies is in the cat-ketch rig, not the hull design. The Core Sounders have a semi-v bottom with a sharp v entry, and are proportionally wider than the original sharpies. Graham has greatly improved on the original hull for the use as a "pleasure boat". The last statement about "heeled well over, the hard chine between hull bottom and topsides presents a nice V-shape to the waves." does not apply to these boats at all.

All of these points as given in "The Sharpie Book" applied to the old sharpies and were very true of the type, but  the Core Sounders are a "different breed of animal".

"FAST, SEAWORTHY, ECONOMICAL, STABLE, & EASY TO BUILD" is certainly right.  Hope the boat show goes well. I just thought that the information on the card should reflect the design as actually built, and is confusing the way it is now.

Well, you might be able to say "modified Sharpie" (the Presto sharpies started to introduce a few hull features closer to the CS series, didn't they?). Still, I'd avoid the term sharpie altogether because it is almost synonymous with "truly flat-bottomed" for most folks. Thus, I agree it could be misleading.

Why not just list the CS's virtues?.... Perhaps something like:Unballasted shallow draft design with centerboard allows easy trailering and beaching

Vee entry bow reduces pounding associated with flat bottom designs

Relatively flat aft hull for good stability and speed

Cat ketch rig for relaxed sailing and minimal clutter (no stays, vang blocks, etc.)

Spacious cockpit for a given size

Every design is the designer's best efforts at achieving characteristics he/she feels are important.  There may be influences from the past, there probably always are some, we all are to some extent the result of other influences.  I think Wes did a great job summarizing what Graham has tried and succeeded at making of the Core Sound.  Some times simply saying what "it" is and letting others see the influences or not on their own is best.

Just trying to get all the attributes for the boat.. I've seen the CS series described as sharpie based designs in a few places. I've found once you tell a lot of sailers that its based upon a sharpie design, lightbulbs come on. Then smiles when you show the article of average CS17/20 speeds from the EC2013.

Up here in Washington, it takes good ammo explaining Cat-ketch B&B design virtues to all the people that think the more "traditional" sail rigs and boat designs are better, or the individuals replacing decent sails with junk rigs for quote "better performance".

Hopefully my full battened flat top sails, with extra roach will be here in time for the show.

The CS series is a skiff and has little to suggest it's a sharpie. The rig, though similar to a number of sharpies at first glance, really isn't either. The proportions are different, it's placement is different, the way it's rigged and it's balance over appendages, that aren't even close to what was typical on a sharpie. Many sharpies had V bottoms, though nothing like what's used in the CS series.

I also wouldn't call her hull form a "semi V", as she's V'd all the way. A flattie is a semi V, with a dead flat bottom entry, that slowly V's up to a very modest deadrise at the transom.

When writing "copy" it's best to emphasize what she does and the features that permit these things. Talk about the unusual things, like backing off a beach or wharf, because of the rig, or speed potential, because of her clean sweet run and relatively straight buttocks, or the ease of tacking because of the way she's rigged.

Yes, using well loved terms like dory, sharpie and epoxy, can help sell things, but blatant honesty about her abilities will be as appreciated, as advertising fluff. For the most part, make the "copy" read well, with good sentence structure, engaging and informed text with little fluff, but lots of straight up focus on what she can do. Writing copy is an art form that's not dieing, but has had a big dent put in it, since desktop publishing has come along. Good copy will flow and feel good to read, bad will be disjointed and possibly difficult to understand fully. Good Luck.

Up here in Washington, it takes good ammo explaining Cat-ketch B&B design virtues to all the people that think the more "traditional" sail rigs and boat designs are better, or the individuals replacing decent sails with junk rigs for quote "better performance".

Sounds like you expect to change peoples minds - think about that.Engaging in debates about the qualities of various type boats seems more like arguing about religion... you can spend lots of interesting time doing that - but changing minds is not likely. So all you did was waste your time.Try targeting your spiel toward likely builders/buyers, rather than against traditional boats.Just saying.

I think if your customers knew how much support exists for fitting out, sailing, and messing about exists for this design, I think it would be beneficial.  Fun is where the emphasis should be.  What other boat is as easy to rig, as forgiving, and provides the same performance?   That was what drew me to this design in the first place.  In order to out do a CS17, one would need to go way more high tech for much more money. 

Graham is already referenced on the front of the cards very well. I'm not trying to build any coresounds, just get a design I like in the hands of more people. Putting out good gouge, is always appreciated. I hate being somewhere and seeing a beautiful design, or features I like and having to jump through hoops and internet searches to find out more info.

Just on the EC22, I have a list of questions from looking at photos of various builds and little features that are different, or I'm not quite sure how it was done. Then looking at the plans and reading Graham's posts, and sundog's blog I've come up with more questions on things, mostly was it changed, or did the original way finally win out.

Later