OB 24 #2

russell

Thought I'd bring everyone up to date on my latest project. I launched My Marissa last year and needed another challenge. Graham sent me the Outer Banks 24 #2. I have been following Myot's work and have been hesitant to show what progress I have made so far. I don't think my work looks as good as his but I have been learning much from his and other of you over the last year. Thanks all for your posts, it'd like going to boat builders school! I have to figure out how to attach pictures again!

• Like 1

Russell.  Great progress, you are well underway.  Don't underestimate yourself.  The camera hides a lot, and your work may well be better than mine.  Keep the pics coming.  I'm really interested in this boat.  I see you added your longitudinal stiffeners before installing your stringers.  Looks like a good idea and a time saver.  Never would have thought of it.  Also thanks for the staple idea.  You may be smarter as well.

Thanks, folks for the encouragement, I began fairing the keel and stringers today, while I agree using a power planer helps, I found using one of my Dad's old hand planes may be easier to handle for a lot of it. the hard part is working from a step stool/ladder. The Keel is about 60" above the floor, great for getting under but good for old muscles! I am about 6' 2" tall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My progress has been slow, not because I haven't been working on this but sometimes little challenges take longer to figure out how to accomplish than it seems, especially when one is working alone.Thought I'd add a couple of pic's. These old hand planes were my Dad's and may have belonged to my great grandpa who came over from Germany in the early 1900's. I tried them all plus some old hand saws, the wooden planes are a bit of a challenge to set up but work well if the bladed are sharp. The old Jack plane (I think that what it's called works the best, it is Sargent made sometime between 1900 and 1913 I think). I added a picture of my idea how to put the twist on the chine batten using clamp with a pvc pipe lodged against the jig. This  was a challenge for me on Marissa and the same here. You have to watch out for the batten slipping out of the frames and bulkheads and smacking you in the kisser! I know! I hope this idea will help someone else along the way.

post-1248-0-84935500-1376833585_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-90062900-1376833611_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-19680100-1376833634_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's cold in Ga.! I thought I would bring you all up to date on my journey with OB 24 #2. As Graham told me a couple of years ago, it's a journey of 100 miles, one step at a time, seems to me a foot at a time when it's been so cold! goo doesn't dry too well when doesn't get above 50 in the day. Glued the first part of the inwale stringer 5 days ago and released the bindings yesterday and it broke loose at the stem---Bummer! I cleaned it up and reglued will wait longer before I will release.

post-1248-0-09805800-1390562270_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-06489600-1390562303_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-49325100-1390562328_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-30076900-1390562388_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-40542400-1390562418_thumb.jpg

It's cold in Ga................................................ seems to me a foot at a time when it's been so cold! goo doesn't dry too well when doesn't get above 50 in the day. Glued the first part of the inwale stringer 5 days ago and released the bindings yesterday and it broke loose at the stem-

Umm, that isn't cold, come to New England.  ;)

Add a heat lamp of something if you want to keep moving.  I always smear a little of a batch being used on a scrap of wood or paper and leave it next to the work when in less than optimal temps.  This way I can check it to see about cure.  If it is at all gooey or even soft it isn't time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at a LOT of plans for our next boat, and the Outer Banks seems to keep coming back up.  I like the hull size of the 24', but don't need all of the cabin area.  I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea as to whether or not I could have something like the 20' cabin/helm area on the 24'?  It seems logical that I could, but if anyone who is more experienced with this particular boat could give some advice.

thanks

My advice on this would simply be to seek Grahams advice when changing the design in any major way, when it comes down to small changes it wouldn't matter, but you maybe changing the balance of the boat by lessening the weight of the cabin if you wanted it smaller. The other thing to keep in mind is the possibility of loss of any of the structural skeleton of the cabin that may play a part in the overall strength of the hull. (He may say it won't matter........but at the end of the day, he is the man.)

I am at present building the OB-20 and have opted to have a centre or side console in lieu of the cabin and this change was okayed by Graham (with a few changes to the sole and stringers). 

Trev

• Like 1

I have given some thought as to how I will finish the cockpit area of this boat, I'm thinking of removing the head part and leaving that area open. With that said, I'm looking forward to actually standing at the helm and getting the over all view before making that decision. I hope to be able to do that by this time next year "God willing"