Plane for gains on a baby tender

lbrewer

Hey everyone.

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd share a tool idea that helped me out cutting the gains on a lap strake cradle boat that I'm building for my soon to be first grandson.

I've had to fuss a bit with cutting the progressively deeper rabbets, or gains,  at the stem and transom on the few clinker projects I've tackled. On this one, the 3/16" soft cedar planking wasn't very forgiving of any wobble in the chisel while freehanding the cut.  After boogering up a couple of planks I figured something with an edge guide of sorts would be helpful.  I don't have a rabbet plane because  normally use a router for that task.  Except for cutting gains.

post-374-0-04653200-1375158408_thumb.jpg

The handle is made from some 1.5 inch white oak stock I had in the shop.  The plane iron is 1 5/8" so that gives a 1/16th protrusion outside the plane body which works out for a nice clean edge cut.

post-374-0-33898800-1375158640_thumb.jpg

The iron is just fastened with a couple of stainless screws onto the 35 degree cut on the leading end of the plane.

post-374-0-01147300-1375159203_thumb.jpg

The edge guide screwed to the bottom is 5/8" wide, allowing a 1/2" cut on either side which is what I wanted for the 1/2" gains on this build.  Changing the width of the edge guide would allow different width gains as appropriate.

post-374-0-90731100-1375159484_thumb.jpg

"Gain plane" in action. 

It actually works pretty well at making nice clean cuts and I haven't damaged any more strakes with a chisel slip.