How do you install the backband?

mfrankel

What is the best way to install the Kudzu Craft store back band on a Ravenswood?

I finished the kayak today and the back band installation is not obvious to me.

Sunday launch planned (with or without back band). 

Will post pictures after the launch if I can figure out how.

The straps of the back band attach to the combing about in the middle of each side.  The back band should be suspended just inside the combing such that when you lean back you do not touch the combing itself.  You should have enough strap extra, past the buckle so that you can adjust it in and out.  Shock chord can be used on the back of the band to the frame just aft of the combing.  This keeps it up so it is in the right place when you lean back.

post-442-0-42314900-1374271606_thumb.jpg

So that is what Leigh was talking about! Thanks for the photo LauAnn. Never could quite picture it.

There are several ways people mount them. I run my bungee though the loops on the backband and around the frame under the coaming. Pull it tight and tie the ends of the bungee together. I think I show this in the Assembly manual. You need them tight enough to pull the back band back in place. If you get in and pull it out place, you just lean forward and it snaps back in place, then lean back.