FreeB 14 has launched!

mitchmellow

Well done Mitch - it sure looks like it belongs on the water.

With regard to the water running down the paddle, this normally happens a bit but I think with that particular paddle it will be excessive. The ridge running along the blades provides a channel that picks up more water and lets it run toward you. I had a euro paddle with a similar bracing on it and it was a shocker for water in the boat.

Take the time to make a nice greenland paddle with smooth blades - it will be worth the effort. There are a number of articles around on the net that give instructions on how to do it.

Just out of curiosity, where were the photos taken?

I live in central Minnesota.  Willmar.  Was on a small lake within the town.  The seat worked fine.  I'm not sure how it would be for someone with a touchy back.  It was cheap so it wouldn't cost much to find out.  I've read that technique will help solve the avalanche of water from the paddle blades.  Since I have no technique at this time I can expect a lot of improvement!

First, congratulations! Boat looks good. If I you don't mind I will "borrow" the launching photos and put on my Face Book page.

I'm sure someone has a remedy for the water running down the paddle and into the boat??

As for the paddle, a spray skirt is the only great answer. GP's are just wet! There is no good way around it.  On thing that might help is the lycra 'scunchies' that the women use to pull their hair back. I tried some but they were to large and slid off. Since I wear a skirt I never looked for any more.

Posted Image

Thanks for all the support.  Use any pictures that you want, Jeff,  Its the least I can do.  I read somewhere that the Greenland natives would tie leather or sinew a number of inches out from the root of the blade.  I tried some left over cord and it seemed to make a big difference.  Still wet but not the previous deluge.  My technique may be improving a little also.  Learning to hold the paddle lower.

I like that! That has to work very well!

One thing about drip rings on a GP, there are a lot of braces and strokes where a drip ring like that would get in the way. I often slide my hands way down one blade to do an extended stroke or brace. Just something to keep in mind if you plan on advancing you skills above the basics.

Mitch, I found that a really good drip "ring" can be made with plastic bottles.  I used two empty spice bottles. Cut off the top portion above the necked-down section and cut off the bottom.  Then slit the remainder so that it can be opened and put onto your paddle shaft. Put some foam between the small neck and the shaft (for sealing) and attach with a couple of tie-wraps.  I have used the ones in the attached picture for about two years and they work very well. They probably could be adapted to a Greenland paddle. The one in the attached picture is on a one-piece oval birdsmouth shaft. The paddle blade is to the right of the closeup picture.

NIce cheap way out, but that doesn't work for Greenland style paddles or facsimile.

• 1 month later...

Mitch

I like your kayak, nice job!

I'm considering the recycled polyester for my Firefly. Can you tel us more about your finish...oil based?  sanding between coats etc.? final outcome?

Also, is this video, Jeff show's us that dents in the finished fabric do not resolve.  Have you noticed this? or does a good tight sewing job followed by a heat shrink solve this problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlAm5sRnEE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the compliment!  Please remember that this is my first boat and so I don't have a wealth of experience.

I thought the recycled poly was pretty easy to work with.  I followed Jeff's directions in his video. The fore and aft stitching produced a tight skin without wrinkles.  Sewing the coaming was more difficult but the heat shrinking took all the wrinkles out.

I finished the FreeB with rustoleum oil based paint.  Again, I thought I followed Jett's video instructions closely.  I used about 2 2/3 quarts, which is more than others on the forum have described for the original 8 oz. polyester.  The recycled may be more thirsty.

As to the appearance of the finish, it is obviously a rougher texture.  If you want a smooth shiny finish this fabric is not for you.  There are these stray fibers that the roller pulls up and they are left "standing" in the paint. Someone else sanded with 150 grit sandpaper after the second and third coats.  I experimented with sanding an area prior to painting.  I felt this area had a more uniform fuzziness after paint was applied. I also sanded the deck after the second and third coats.  This left me with what I would describe as a suede look.  I actually kind of like it.  I don't know what the effect of a brush (foam or bristle) would be.  Perhaps the only application that would eliminate the lifting of the fibers is spraying.

I have not collided with any objects that would produce a dent and can't comment on the phenomenon.  In loading it on the car, I have placed the bottom skin on a fairly pointed crossbar structure but it was only the weight of the kayak.  No dent produced. 

The fabric did relax a little around the coaming.  I was able to reshrink it with an iron using a thin damp cloth between the iron and the painted fabric.  I wonder if that wouldn't work on a more minor dent.

If I work up the ambition for another boat (ravenswood, perhaps) I will probably use the recycled fabric again.  I'm familiar with it and it worked well.  The rough finish doesn't bother me.

I did post about the fabric a couple of times while I was finishing.  There are pictures of the painted fabric in one.  You might want to look at:

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8695-getting-closerecycled-poly/  

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8680-heat-shrinking-question/

Enjoy the firefly.