Differences in fabrics

P Doug (WA)

Paul, I split this off because I think it is good questions and deserves to be stuck at the top.  I will have 3 fabric to choose from and I was planning on putting something on the web site about the choices. 

8 oz recycled polyester

This fabric looks and feels like canvas. It is a recycled fiber and it shrinks like crazy! Very tough and easy to sew. Weave is tight enough it can be sewn on tight without worrying about big holes at the stitches.

Drawbacks; It has some very fine fuzzy fibers that make a smooth finish very hard. It needs to have the fuzz removed somehow. Latex paint helps but it's still not a great finish.  Also, once shrunk, you can stretch it and it doesn't return. But you can shrink it again. 

I am talking with the manufactor and they are supposed to be sending me a sample of this with a different finish on it that might solve the finishing issue. If so I would use it over the original 8 oz.

Original 8 oz Polyester

This is supposed to be exactly the same fabric I was getting so I am saying this based on that assumption.  Weave it slightly loose so you can not sew it on tight. Shrinks really well and accepts any finish. Has a more coarse texture than the recycled polyester. Probably the easiest fabric to work with.

Drawbacks: Loose weave makes sewing a bit harder. It tends to loose up a little from it shrunken state once finish is applied and I  don't know why. 

New 11.5 oz

This is so new there is no history yet. I am finishing a boat with it right now. What I am seeing is that is a very tight weave with little if any stretch. You can pull it tight on the boat by sewing and have virtually no pull holes. You do not have to rely on shrinking it to get it tight. It does shrink but not as much as the other two. It should be a very durable skin. There is a big difference in this and the 8 oz. fabrics. 

Drawbacks: It's a little stiff and with the tight weave it is harder to push the needle through. Since it doesn't stretch it is just not as forgiving as the original 8 oz. As long as you use the proper technique it will be no problem. 

Summary

If cost is most important thing. Recycled 8 oz. If not for the finishing issues it would near perfect.

Easiest to sew, either 8 oz fabric. Of those the old 8 oz has a very slight advantage and I mean very slight.

Most durable is going to be 11 oz. I am almost certain. But again, no  history yet.

Painting goes to the old 8 oz and the new 11 oz. Both of those finish equally well. If it were not for the textured finish on the recycled 8 oz there would be no difference.

Yes and no. If they are truly abusive then yes. It will take more rough treatment but any fabric that is abused is going to be damaged.

If they will give it reasonable care 8 oz is fine. If they just don't give a darn, then buy the cheap stuff till they learn to take care of it.If they have to reskin their boat they might think about being a bit more careful next time(?).  

So the answer is "It depends"