FROG obligations

mitchmellow

FreeB14 was my guess when I looked at the pictures.  Looks nice.  Are you going to put more slats in the cockpit?  I have never seen foam on the lawn chair before.  Good idea.

I have the patterns all drawn out for that one, the coaming made, and all the other material, but got sidetracked building other things.  Maybe I will get back to it or maybe I will use the material and build a Stonefly.  I really like it.

Got a color in mind for yours?

Was thinking of rustoleum goldenrod for the color. The way I cut the legs from the lawn chair changed the angle of the seat and I felt it would be a little uncomfortable without some padding. Unfortunately, I have a sensitive tailbone and I think you can spy the cutout in the foam. That really helped. I think I looked rather funny sitting in the living room watching tv and testing the seat comfort. The seat rests on the existing slats nicely and was thinking of not adding any more but would appreciate opinions since I am a total newbie.

Here are two pictures of the seat alone. The foam is from a 1/2 inch sleeping bag/camp mat ($7.47 at Walmart) and the thigh bracing (admittedly a little short) is from a $.75 noodle. In wheelchairs the downward slope of the seat to the back of the chair is called "dump". If I do another seat like this I will try to maintain the original dump of the chair. I think you could put the chair on a level surface and use a level to determine where to cut the front legs. I just cut all the legs off at the bottom of the seat.

post-3195-0-85775000-1372597919_thumb.jpgpost-3195-0-74096100-1372597913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe I will have to do some yard sales looking for a chair.  I need a seat badly.   Been sitting on a loose pad and and I really need more back support.  Old bad back,,  I have a strap, but I need more than it provides.  

What did you attach the foam with, like liquid nails or some such thing?

If it were me, I add more slats.  That area gets a lot, probably the most abuse of anywhere else.  Getting in and out, stepping down with grime on your feet, and I would think, I am a novice so don't put much in what I say, but I would think it adds strength to the structure also.  One other thing I think you will want is footrests.  There are discussions on this forum of cheap, easy ways to make them or get them through Jeff's store.  They are much more difficult to add after the ship is skinned.  

I attached the foam with household GOOP.  I've had great luck with it in other applications but never used it in a situation like this.  It is supposed to be waterproof.  Thanks for the advice on the slats and foot rests.  Since this is my first boat and my first venture into kayaking it's good to hear other opinions.