Seeking to crew on CS17 & CS20 -Australia

Nacrajon

I'm thinking of building either a CS17/20 or Bayraider 17 from a kit. I would like to go for a sail with someone to work out if it's the boat for me before I commit to build. I work on Sydney harbour during the week and live in Canberra on the weekends but am prepared to travel for a test sail.

Background is I have raced beach catamarans for last 5 yrs and currently race a Taipan 4.9 solo ( 96kg, 16ft, capable of 18kt). I have beach camped it around the Whitsundays for a week a few times.

I want a boat I can explore the coast in with two children under 10, go weekend camping with 2 adults/ 2 children with the occasional week long camping trip. Desirable to be able to have a makeshift trapeze fitted- or my son will be dissappointed.

Jon

Hi Jon

If you give me a bit of warning I could probably arrange a test sail on my CS17. The catch is I'm in Brisbane.

I used to sail/ race beach cats in the 70s and was even a "National Champion" one year but as it was a small class that was about 98% Queensland based, that doesn't mean much. There wasn't much opposition.

If you want a trapeze you'll probably have to beef up the mizzen mast/step/thwart to take it as the masts aren't really designed for it (bendy and tapered to depower in the gusts) . Depends on the weight of your son.

Cheers

Peter HK 

When I was living in Canberra a few yars ago there was a guy somewhere along the southern NSW coast with a CS17.

I've gone out for as much as 6 days on a CS17 comfortably but there were just two of us on board. If I was going to bring an extra couple of kids for that length of time I might want more space (weekend camping might be okay, though).

Trapezes might not work well on a CS. The guy who owns my old boat used to race Nacras, though - Maybe he'll chime in. You there, Alan?

If I plan to camp ashore every night, is the CS big enough for two adults and two kids with camping equipment for a week long trip around the Whitsundays?

Or would I be better off with a 20? My preference is a small boat to make it easy to roll up the beach on fenders. The best spots in the Whitsundays are quiet bays away from the yachties in my experience.

I haven't been to the Whitsundays (yet), so I'm not famliar with the conditions but it kind of depends on what you think of as camping. If you go minimal enough - Swags for four, water, food, a stove and an esky will easily fit into a CS17, and it will stow completely out of the cockpit so you've got room to carry the people. On my longest trip I took pretty much everything I could think of to make each beach a home away from home. There were only two of us but we had all manner of tents, chairs, folding table, inflatable bed, etc. I had storage in the forward compartment, the rear compartment, under the foredeck in the cockpit, alongside the centerboard on either side (with the floorboards installed in the "sleeping" position), and I still had room under the tiller in the rear of the cockpit for folding chairs and a really big esky.

The 20 will definitely be better for the long trips with 4 people but might be a little more of a challenge when you go out for a solo daysail.

My beach camping usually included a stern anchor on the beach and a bow anchor to hold the boat away from the beach, so I didn't have to worry about getting stuck on a low tide, though I definitely was able to get away from the yachties by anchoring in shallow enough water to let the boat dry out a few times.

Hopefully you'll be able to go out on a 17 or 20 with a group of four before you decide.

Hi Jon,

This is exactly why I bought the plans for the Coresound 17. I live on the Gold Coast and first plan to sail out to Moreton Island which is quite a bit further out than the Whitsundays.

Later on I do plan to sail the Whitsundays since they are so close to the mainland and you can easily island hop from one to another. Having seen Peter's Coresound 17 there seems 

to be heaps of space to store stuff and the fact that you can still sail it by yourself fairly easily. You will have to let us all know when you are thinking of heading up there as it would be

great to get a few boats together for a cruise or should that be a race around the Whitsundays.

Alex.

• Like 2

Gday Nacrajon - I'm the guy who lives down near Bega - happy to take you for a spin in my CS17 one weekend if you can get down - I love this boat - it has taken me all sort of places, including offshore here and on Sydney harbour.

email me at: david.newell@netspeed.com.au

Cheers

Davo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rik,

Haven't started yet. Busy working on a new business at the moment so I don't have the time to dedicate to boat building at the moment. Hopefully starting sometime in the next year. Will keep you all posted.

Alex.