Stoneflies everwhere!

Kudzu

All those boats on my blog have them on top. I haven't tried it but I don't foresee a problem.  If I were going to go with them on top, I think I wouldn't cut the notches in the bottom and instead would draw/cut a big arc relief where the floor notches are.

I am scheduled for a canoe building class in 2015 and I think I am going to do floors on the top. This is a new canoe design just for the class so it will designed that way if that is what I do.

The more I mull it over I'm deciding to try them on top, I have my frames cut and did the sweep/arch you mentioned. Hopefully tomorrow they'll be presentable and I'll post a pic. I get the impression that commonly the wood is oiled after lashing. Is there a problem lashing to oiled wood or another reason not to oil the material before lashing?

Had a good find yesterday, one of the local boatyards had some 1/2" okume and they sell it by the square foot.

Now if it would just warm up a tad... I know I shouldn't whine, I see how it is up there but this a little cool for us!

The kayaks are usually oiled after lashing, and often just one coat.  Most of the wood is hidden and gets very little exposure to ultra-violet.  The canoe is a different story.  I would likely choose to do  1 coat of oil on all parts before assembly and another 1 after, or 2 then 1.

I don't see a problem oiling before hand except it might be messy handling them during assembly. I think that wouldn't annoy me.

This is a subject I have been giving a lot of thought about. As Dave said a canoe is exposed and oil in the frame dries out. Kayaks do too but out of sight, out of mind. With a canoe you're going to see it and want to keep it looking good. Re-oiling a frame and not getting it all over the skin is going to be hard. I think varnish would a look great but if you ever had to redo it it would be much worse job than re-oiling the frame.

I rarely paddle my Stonefly and it stays out of the sun when it is stored. Since I use it mostly for Show and Tell I am thinking about varnishing it when I reskin it. I doubt it would ever have to be redone no more than I use it.  I haven't made up my mind  yet but I do know I am going to varnish the gunwales. That would really make that boat stand out and wouldn't be hard to refinish.

Still debating whether to build one myself.  But I think I would oil all but the gunwales, thwarts/seats and breast hooks.  They would be varnished.  With multiple coats of oil I think a good drying time is called for between coats and before skinning.  It would eliminate the handling issue Jeff is concerned with and assure you don't contaminate the skin before painting. 

If you are oiling in cool weather just bring the parts/frame into the living room between coats, spouses like that  :P

I don't know what it is about work and boat building but when things are slow and I start building something the phone starts ringing. Maybe the trick is always have something going on in the shop. No complaints, but it makes me go hmm. 

I have the frames sanded and stained. Here's a link to them: http://s204.photobucket.com/user/bobdsimmons/library/Stonefly%20Canoe?sort=3&page=1

This afternoon I decided to go ahead and varnish them, the dull finish was screaming at me. I'll keep the PB album updated as things progress but progress will be slow for a couple of weeks. I'm trying to get a blog going so I don't clutter this thread.

I did find a good source for kiln dried cypress so they will be the rest of the frame and maybe the strips for the floor. I've never worked with cypress, any input on how stable it is? How it takes stain? Things they don't tell you at the lumberyard?