Stoneflies everwhere!

Kudzu

• 7 months later...

Don't click on the link folks - it's a trap!!

I've been enjoying time without a build going on, lots of sleep and time to paddle.... It's all gone now. 

Seriously Jeff, what a beautiful boat. Love at first sight for me, the last thing I need and no place to store her but doggone it here we go again. I've been reading your book and looking forward to my first SOF build. 

First post on this forum too. Hello to everyone - safe bet you'll be hearing more from me as the shop gets dusty!

I am going to remove the floors from under the frames and put them on top of the frame. That will allow me to sit on a seat and on my knees at the same time. I think that would be more comfortable. That will entail raising the seat up and I am not certain how high I can go and maintain stability.  

If that fails I may look at a commercial seats. There are a ton out on the market with back rests and if I am going to be fishing it's nice to lean back and rest. 

I'm watching with big eyes. I have a trick back and like the idea of the floor on top. When I paddle I sit on a bean bag cushion and use whatever's handy for a backrest, it gets some funny looks from other paddlers but it allows me to change positions a lot and keeps the back happy. With the floor on top I could use this set up in the Stonefly too. Well maybe. Looking forward to getting the plans and seeing how high the sides are.

Question fellas, will one 4x8 sheet be enough for the floors and frames? I can't find a list of materials on line. I have a line on some cypress for the stringers but may have to order the ply. Also shipping it is much more reasonable if they cut the sheet into 4x4 pieces. Do you think the patterns will lay out on 4x4 pieces?  Seems like all the references I've found on line are for 1/2" ply - correct? I plan to use okume,  I do appreciate any insights.

Deltabravo - when I saw your avatar I had to run out and check my backyard! Beautiful pup ya have there!  http://s204.photobucket.com/user/bobdsimmons/media/BUSTER/BUSTER001-1.jpg.html

Thanks, he is a good boy nothing better than black GSD's.. One thing to keep in mind is the floor pieces are long so if your using plywood it's simpler with full sheet. I don't remember the exact dimension but seem to think it was 60 something inches. I ended up using baltic birch plywood 5x5 that I bought online and was shipped in 6 pieces. On the floor I just used some a/c with several coats of exterior enamel paint. No problems so far.living in the middle of nowhere compromises have to me made.

The canoes are one place where Okoume will really shine IMO.  Add WRC stringers and some Mahogany gunwales and breast hooks and you have a great combination!  I really like slats for the sole of kayaks and canoes.  It just looks more finished to me.  And in the canoe you will see them all the time.  WRC would look good, but I wonder how it would stand up over time?  I wonder how thin you could resaw a Mahogany or Meranti slat and still be strong enough?  I may just have to find out later this winter  :P

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I originally signed up just to look at the pictures, but had to chime in on the thread since I also live in Jacksonville FL and have been thinking about building a Stonefy since I first saw it. Just need to finish the JEM sit-on-top I'm currently working on if the weather will warm up enough to do some fiberglass.

Bob, have you checked out Florida Southern Plywood on 5th St? They carry a lot of different types of plywood that they don't list on their website, so you might save the shipping costs.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks for that, I used their mahogany back in '07 when I built my Simmons Sea Skiff. After three trips to the place without having one smile, hello or thank you from the folks there I guess I put them out of my mind. Fact is they were almost rude. I just called them and even though they don't carry okume the fellow I spoke with was pretty nice... maybe things have changed. They do have a nice selection of wood (did a few years ago) and I think I'll shoot over there next week and price their cypress and western red.

I haven't given up yet on finding the okume locally, still have a few marinas and boat yards to call hoping someone has some leftover in inventory. Crazy how hard it is to find okume in a city with so many marinas, builders and repair shops!

Welcome from another newbie!

Bob,

Never have had them be rude, but you never know. The sales office has seemed pretty busy every time I've been there. I talked to a guy at Carolina lumber that told me he could order pretty much anything I wanted, but I have never been able to find either okoume or meranti locally. I think the closest I could find was Riviera Beach. Let me know if you find any. I did find some pretty nice wrc at RPM wood products in Yulee. They were good about helping me find some nice clear 2x10s for ripping strips.

What side of town are you on? I'm on the westside and would love to observe or help if you decide to build a Stonefly!

Jay

Jay, absolutely lets get together. PM sent. 

Thanks for the tip on RPM also, I have not talked to them before and am looking forward to it. Western red would more than likely save me some money over the cypress. Good to know. 

Jeff, those plans got here PDQ - thanks! They came yesterday and I have glued the patters to some old underlayment material and cut them out. Still chewing the floors over but I'm leaning towards slats on top of the frames instead of the ply under them. Do you feel there would be an issue with lashing them in place on top instead of letting them into the frames?  Hirilondes last comment has me thinking...that's a pretty mental image there.