Sharpie Egret

Steve Day

Hey Guys,

It's been a long time since I was up on the forum. Lot's of other things cluttering up my life lately.

I was at my 50th High School reunion this past weekend in Delray Beach FL and one of my classmates approached me about possibly building a 28' Egret Sharpie. I don't know a whole lot about the parameters of the contract and/or build, but I was intrigued enough to do a bit of research on the boat design(s). He wants to do it with marine plywood and that is a medium I happen to have a bit of experience with. He tells me that he has a set of plans.

We'll see where this all takes us. It could be a lot of fun.

In any case, I'm going to try to get on the site now and again to see how y'all are doing.

Anybody have an Egret (derived) Sharpie out there?

Steve

PAR,

At this point I don't know. I talked to him this morning and he will be getting the plans back from where they are stored sometime next week, or the week after. Somehow, I'm thinking it is a Monroe. However, that is just a guess, based on what he told me.

I will be patient as this plays out.

Blessings,

Steve

Good morning sir, great to see you around and kicking. I passed along your contact information to a nice fellow that lives in your area and now building a decent sized sport fisherman. There was one plowing the coastal waters of the Carolinas that had some serious wood and varnish on it. The biggest issue was stepping and unstepping the mast while using his boat from a trailer. It was a major task.  It does not have a lot of room inside either with the massive centerboard arrangement. That is all I know of the plywood version of it.

I think Ivan is planning to keep this one where he will not have to step and un-step the mast very often. I get the impression he wants to use it to mess about in the general area of Cedar Key most of the time with an occasional trip to other areas. I also have the impression that he intends to day sail with the cabin used like a cuddy shelter as opposed to a living cabin.

We will have several discussions about this as Graham's designs fulfill most of those needs in a somewhat lighter and more nimble design (not to mention stitch & glue vs. plank over frame construction). I don't want him jumping off on a given design without a lot of thought, as one has to live with his decisions for quite some time. :huh:

It's nice to be contemplating construction of another boat. I'm not sure whether this one will be attempted, but the mental excercise is good anyway. It's also good to be back on the forum again. :)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...