New kayak hauler

Kudzu

I am bending my rule about keeping posts kayak related just a little. I wanted to show off my new Kayak Hauler. Next to woodworking my other love is cars. Wood Boats and Cars have interested me since I was just a little kid. I feel in the love with the '55 Chevy first time I saw one and I have had a couple over the years.

But to keep this short my truck I was driving was worn out with 330,000 miles on it. I have been looking for two years for something. Not much appealed to me and what did I couldn't afford. One thing I made up mind to do, I was going to pay cash. With the economy I would build up some cash and then I would have to spend some of it.

I found SOLO advertised and it sounded to good to be true. I will keep this short but you can read the whole story on my blog

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SOLO is 1993 Suburban and yes it has been lowered, about 6". While it is still a big SUV it handles amazingly well and rides and corners almost as good as my old kayak hauler, the Cadillac STS. It just doesn't have any body lean even when pushing it hard in the curves. Of course it is no sports car either but it will surprise you.

Other than being lowered, it was pretty much factory. I have been doing some upgrades to get it to suit me. First thing was a new stereo! That factory unit was horrible! Just replaced the steering wheel this weekend. For now I painted the smoke gray on the wheels, red and fixed a couple of things that weren't working right. For a 20 year old car it was amazing how little there was wrong with it.

I took it the coast last week and driving 70 mph it still got 18.9 mpg. I have a little bit of work to do under the hood and I am pretty sure I can get that mileage up just a bit more. I would love to see 20 mpg on the highway but that is tall order. I do thing 19.5 is doable though.

It is a near perfect travel vehicle. It pulls a trailer with 6 kayaks no problem. I could probably put 4 easy on that roof but just have it set up for 2 now. Been waiting on a long time on this one to come around!

Edited by Kudzu
typos