Finished fabric photos

Kudzu

I took samples of the fabrics I am looking at and stretched, shrunk and painted them.  I also included the new recycled 8oz polyester. I am very disappointed in way the 8 oz. polyester finished.  

PHOTOS

Posted Image

This is a photo of the 8 oz with oil based paint. You can see all the 'fuzz' and fibers that lifted once the paint was applied. These are not noticeable till you apply the paint, so I was surprised by this.  

Mike runs a kids program building my boats at the Eli Whitney Museum during the summer. I sent him a sample to test and he is saying that latex paint, because it is so thick, looks much better. It still has some 'texture' to it but it doesn't look like it has sand it in. He put the hammer to it was impressed with hot tough it was though. They are going to use it and switch to latex paints on their kids boats. 

I am going to keep it in the store because because of the price. Cost is more important than looks to some folks and I will  recommend using latex paint. 

This is a photo of the 11.5 oz fabric I am looking at.

Posted Image

As you can see, it has a much better finish. I don't have a close up photo of the old 8 oz but this is a finer weave and looks a little better. I think it might take less paint too to seal it. It has a tendency to loosen up once it is painted so I am going to recommend sewing it on tight to avoid this. I am almost certain I am going to be stocking this fabric.

Did you try a light sanding between the 1st and 2nd coats using oil on the 8 oz. cloth? 

I think Mike said he did on his and it didn't help, but no I didn't. What gets me is there is no hint of this on the raw fabric. I went back to the roll and looked closely and nothing apparently that should make it this rough. As I have said it feels just like canvas. A few loose or standing fibers but it looks like you have a hand full of sand in it. I am not sure what is happening and where the roughness is coming from.

I have a big order from Mike's classes and he said they will use latex so I ordered a couple of rolls of it and if will sell I will keep it in stock but I won't be using it. I need to dig around and see if I have any latex paint to test with so I can show photos of it. I do not want to mislead anyone.

I may be teaching some boat building classes in August. After seeing this fabric finished, I feel an urgency to get something else in. I would hate to use this in my class! 

• 2 weeks later...

I may have discovered the problem with the new fabric. I remember talking to the company months ago and them saying the fabric was unwashed. It only had a powered lubricant used in manufacturing. I think he said it was baking soda. We didn't think it would cause a problem and after seeing the sample I couldn't detect anything on it and I forgot about it.  

I just cut up 11 lengths of fabric for a client and I could feel the powder on my hands after a while and that reminded me of the conversation. This has me wondering if the lubricant is floating in the paint and that is what is causing the texture. I found the piece I painted last week and I could take my finger nail and scrap off the rough spots.  A quick look at the fabric with a magnifying glass and there is are no fuzzy fibers on the surface that could cause the texture.

I just cut a small piece and I have rinsed it in a bucket with a garden hose. The water had a slightly milky look  after a quick rinse. I am letting it dry and will try painting it this afternoon.  I hope this is the problem because I like everything else about the fabric.

OK, I finally got to the bottom of this. Washing did not help. I now see what is going on. With a good magnifying glass and wet paint I can see this fabric is never going to have a good finish The texture is fibers on the fabric that are very  hard to see. I finally got enough light on them with a magnifying glass I could see them. Even though it doesn't look it, the fabric is fuzzy.  Once you apply the paint they magically appear. So there is no hope for a really good finish with this fabric without a lot  of work.

I am going to contact the other company and see about purchasing some rolls of the 11.5 oz fabric.

Fabric manufacturers traditionally removed surface fibers by passing fabrics (very quickly) under an open flame. This actually singed the loose fiber ends off the base of the fabric. ........

..........Too much work? Too dangerous?

I am sure under controlled conditions like a factory with a specialized machine this could be done. But no way do I suggest anyone try this at home. Just to risky. I am going to send the factory one of my painted samples and ask if there is anything they could do. I like the fabric well enough to invest in a large order, but I seriously doubt that is a possibility.

Talked to my salesman at the other company and we start working on credit approval or whatever they will need Monday morning to so I can get the 11.5 oz in stock.