CS 17

Paul356

• 3 weeks later...

At last, cockpit paint and varnish are done (for now), as is deck varnish.  Motor-mount brackets are installed and bracket adjusted so outboard will fold up and stay put.  Keel half-rounds are installed.  Now it's finally time for the fun stuff, like installing the centerboard and all the hardware and rigging for sailing.  My aforementioned drop-dead, do-or-die, swear-on-a-dead-cat May 20 launch date was tied to a family event which has since been postponed, but I'm not far off.  It feels great to be done with the cockpit paint.  Don't look too close or you might see a few runs in paint/varnish. ;) 

5.15a.gif

5.15b.gif

5.15c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got the sails up in the driveway Friday!  Very close.  Hope to sail this week, or at least if the wind stops nuking.  Thanks for asking, Lennie, much appreciated.  Life seems to have a habit of getting in the way, even in retirement.  Who knew.  On the other hand, some of those interruptions are the happiest ever.  Here's 7-week grandson come 1,000 mi to help.

20170601_164216.jpg

• Like 1

As noted, sails up in the driveway, and I now have most of the final mast hardware installed, along with the leads aft along the deck from the main mast to the cockpit for the downhaul, main halyard and snotter.  Still a few nuts and bolts and cleats and mast crutches and registration numbers away from final. 

Sails up1.gif

• 1 month later...

Launched today!  CS 17 is a terrific boat.  It popped right off the trailer.  The dock was not conducive to hoisting sails, so we motored out a bit (Miss Q behaved admirably).  Hoisted the mizzen and laid to it while we got the main squared away.  Always some details to work out, for example, the main was not attached to the sprit.  (How'd that happen?)  Basically, everything worked perfectly.  It was such a joy to share all this with my helpmate, lovemate and crewmate of 45 years, who supported me throughout.  We zipped back and forth on easy reaches.  Beats and runs can wait for another day,  We surfed back into the dock.  It was a wonderful sail, everything I'd expected for the last 4 years of building.  Too busy most of the time to take pictures, but some will follow.