CS 17

Paul356

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 17 kit is being cut and will be here in a bit.  The first step in getting ready for the new boat was getting rid of the old one.  I built it 26 years ago, a Redmond Bluegill.  It was a terrific boat for inland waters and messing about in any fashion, including with kids of all ages.  But it's been sitting outside for the last 10 years, unused, neglected and, finally, beyond repair, or at least beyond anything short of a near total rebuild.  So, it tore me up, but it was time to say goodbye. 

post-1405-0-86592500-1373643864_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-21291000-1373643902_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-73705300-1373643935_thumb.jpg

The Bluegill was an incredibly handy boat, under power (up to 9 hp), oar or sail.  I built it as a motor skiff first, added the centerboard and sailing rig the next year.  There have been some more recent builds, documented on the Woodenboat site.

To Chick's question, I'm in Milwaukee.  We have a 36-footer on Lake Michigan.  I'm looking forward to sailing the CS 17 on our inland lakes here and up north, as well as down south when those lakes turn hard.  I'd also like to do some camp cruising on places like Lake Superior or the North Channel (or the Carolinas, or just about anywhere), and will certainly be looking forward to sailing the 17 on Lake Michigan from time to time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready....

Carla says the kit is on the truck.  I made up the building frame, at least for now. It's on casters.  I can use it to move the box if needed, and later, with some plywood on top, as a work surface and, finally, as a cradle to work on the boat once it takes shape.  I didn't view any of the dimensions as critical except to get the two cross pieces for the cradle parts parallel.  It's 12' long.  I can beef it up as necessary.

I also made a table for my saw.  It's been mistakenly named a "table" saw for the 40 years I've had it and the 15 my dad had it before that.  It was always actually a "garage floor saw" or a "sawhorse saw."  At last, it's a "table saw."  I made the height to match a couple of Stanley sawhorses that were on sale and calling my name.  That way I'll have an outfeed support at the right height.

I'm lucky to have an attic in my garage, which is now the workshop.  It's a pretty neat space, although very hot if it's warm outside.  I plan to make the smaller pieces there.  Boat will go together on the ground floor.

post-1405-0-58025100-1375033229_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-79197300-1375033286_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-88744400-1375646297_thumb.jpgThe kit arrives!  The box weighed 250#, but I think 75# or more was the box itself.  The truck had a lift gate and the driver had a dolly and rolled it right up to the garage for me. 

I'm very impressed with the kit.  The plywood cuts are clean and precise.  The deckbeams have rabbets and bevels cut, very clean.  Many pieces are marked with pencil for location of stringers, beams, bulkheads, etc.  Scarfs are all made.  I could never replicate this kind of accuracy; then again, I don't have a CNC table.  Well worth the $$.  I also received epoxy, tape, "special blend" filler, mast tubes and sail track.  All that said, the plywood pieces are stacked for now, and I'm going to make up the the centerboard blank and rudder first as a way to get smart with this epoxy.

post-1405-0-89975900-1375646360_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-79384700-1375646411_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-50083100-1375646542_thumb.jpg

Paul-

Good for you! congrats to you. I ordered my CS 17 this week, have been assigned hull 370 and am getting the workshop ready. Was yours pretty much delivered as they estimated, time wise, when you ordered? I can wait.

Another question-

Are the side panels marked with the position of the stringer, and is the stringer included and beveled?

Thanks

They had said mid-July, so it was a couple weeks after that, but they had also warned they were having a busy summer, and there were some unexpected blips along the way.  In "boat time," two weeks is right on time, so no worries. :)  The side panels are marked for the stringer, but the stringer isn't part of the kit.  You could probably ask them to make it and include it (you'd scarf it together), not sure.  I spent quite a bit of time online yesterday looking for places within a couple hours that might have long doug fir or even mahogany, which I used for stringers on an earlier boat and really liked. Hard pine doesn't show up much this far north.  Now that the kit is here, I know just what I'll need, and the search begins.

In addition to the time to lay this all out and the accuracy of the cuts, there is the additional benefit of eliminating the unknowns as to where to source the materials and concerns about quality. Graham has sources for this stuff that most of us do not have and he passes it along at what I consider to be reasonable prices. If the boat a guy wanted to build was available in kit form, I'd think that would be the way to go for most amateur builders.

Not needing to find the right material on my own was a big factor in ordering from Graham.  I got epoxy, tape, pumps, filler, mast tubing and sail track from him as well as the benefit of his precision cutting equipment.  I just kept saying, "send me what you use."  Another way to take advantage of his expertise.