Ravenswood launch

andy00

I launched and paddled my new Ravenswood from Piermont on the Hudson River this morning. Below are my first impressions comparing it to a Pygmy Arctic Tern HV, which I've been paddling for a couple of years. The Arctic Tern is a plywood/fiberglass/epoxy kit boat that is 17 feet long and of similar design (Greenland style with V-bottom or deadrise). Observations on the Ravenswood are as follows:

1) It is significantly lighter; therefore, easier to get on and off the car and into and out of the water (no surprise there).

2) It feels like it paddles at about the same speed for the effort expended, although I did not quantify by map or GPS.

3) Edging doesn't seem to turn it as much as the Tern.

4) It is less affected by wind, but that is to be expected because the "HV" suffix stands for high volume. The Tern is pretty high.

5) It needs some tweeking to increase comfort, including adjustments to the back brace and rounding off and padding of the outside bottom edges of the coaming where these contact my knees.

All in all, a most satisfying first paddle on a lovely morning.

Fair winds to all, Andy