Polyester shortage

Kudzu

Long story, but just got word that I may be about to run out of polyester for a while. I have been looking for a while trying to find a mill that can make some for me. But so far, no go.  If you need any polyester I suggest getting in an order, it will not last long with spring coming.

No, no production problems. Just a supplier issue. I am single source on this, but that will change.

No one makes a fabric just for kayaks so we use things that work. I haven't sold enough to be able to go straight to the mill but I am getting close. I am actively looking trying to find a mill that can/does make a polyester suitable for out needs.

Amazing how some companies don't bother to answer their emails. Sent several place emails and only two responses.

I have been talking to a mill not to far away and they seem very willing to do custom fabrics for me. However I suspect that I don't buy enough for a that.  But I have samples coming of a fabric that they make. What is really cool is that is made from recycled soda pop bottles!

I may have forgotten to 'click' the little box.  You would think if you entered an email it would just send the notice, but you have to click the box too, and email address is not a required field. I have no idea why you have to do both. But it is a Government web site.

Just received my first sample from a Mill I have been in contact with. The fabric looks and feels just like a slightly stiff cotton canvas. Similar to a drop cloth. But, it is woven from a fiber made from recycled plastic bottles. It's just hard to believe it's not canvas and I had my doubts till I put the hot knife to it and it melted.

Tomorrow I am going to find or build something to sew it onto, shrink it and then apply some paint. Anxious to see how it works but it looks really promising just trying it on the bench. It's much different than the polyester I am getting now. It's a finer weave and smoother too. I think it will finish out much smoother. If it looks good in the small scale test I am going to skin something with it and them beat the heck out of it and see how it holds up.

Hoping there are not unwanted surprises! They have quite a few rolls in the warehouse.

I have a couple of fleece jackets that are supposed to be made from recycled plastic bottles and they have held up well. Heck, bottles take forever to break down!  But that is why I want to skin a boat with it and see how it hold up in real use. Problem is I am not going to have a year to test one before offering it. I am going to be out of fabric soon and it is amazing at how many companies have not even bothered to answer my inquiries. No wonder American manufacturing is going over seas! I can get replies quicker from oversea's companies than two states away.

Fleece made from soda bottles is not only a great insulator, it lasts forever.  That it is made from recycled material would not bother me at all.  But seeing as our use of the polyester material is very different from what it is manufactured for definitely warrants some research and testing.  Its like our use of plywood.  None are really manufactured to cut into kayak shaped trusses, but some of them do it well and others don't.

Charles, it is a take what you can get item. I have been talking to the mills and I there just isn't enough demand for me to have a special fabric made for our use. I can't afford to but a 1,000 yard and store it.  Maybe in a couple of years my sales will be to a point where I can. So I have to take what I can find that will work. So far I haven't had much luck either. I have one sample in the shop and I think it may work but it is TOTALLY different than what I sell now and will have to be sewn on differently. 

The reason for no coating is so that you can waterproof it. If it is coated with something it's not going to take paint or poly, if it sticks it will probably start to peel off latter on. As for weight, the 8 oz is a good compromise between weight and toughness. Heavier fabric is tougher (should be anyway) but adds weight. 

Best advice is buy it from someone that builds the boats and knows what works and doesn't. I have about half a roll left and not sure when I will get anymore of this fabric, if ever.  I will find something to replace it but it doesn't look like it will be quickly.

I received a small sample of 8oz poly with about 50-60 threads/inch.  I tested it by ironing and it shrinks about 10% (and even more if you get it too hot).   I tried painting it with an oil based paint and it seems to nicely take the paint.  I put a second coat on and believe that would seal it.   But, as this is new to me, I have nothing to compare it to..  Anyway, I won't be working on my kayak until this summer when I go to Washington, so I thought doing some research might turn up something.   But, now as it turns out, the supplier has run out of the material and is no longer offering it for sale.  

UPDATE:  I received a small sample of a new fabric and have been messing with it. I discovered one totally unexpected problem. I sewed in on the bow, shrunk it and it looked good. Let it set over night and the next day I messing with it and discovered that I could easily stretch out the 'shrink' I had put it in. I left it over night and the next day the spot I had stretched was still there. The question is will it stretch and not return once painted? The problem is I am using a frame I use for demos and I don't want paint on it. 

It has a much tighter weave than what I sell now so I am trying sewing it on like nylon. That is sewing it on tight around the frame, using the stitches to pull it tight and not depending on the heat to shrink it tight. It doesn't develop large pull holes when you do this. I will have that done today and see how that works.

The texture is much smoother and it looks like canvas. It should finish out smoother than the existing polyester too. Price would be about the same maybe a little cheaper. 

Yesterday I was in contact with a mill that specializes in uncoated fabrics of all types. I talked to their regional and local sales people and this sounds more promising than anyone else I have talked with. They are going to get me some samples and are confident they have what I need. But of course I am skeptical, but hopeful.

• 2 weeks later...