Frame weight

GPStick

My frame is done and oiled so I thought I'd check to see how much it weighed.  29# with the coaming and my thighbracing nested on the seat planks.  I'm going with hatches on this frame so I have additional plywood there.  How does that stack up with others? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds high to me too. You going to hit 35 lbs pretty easily wth paint and skin. But but before you go into a tail spin, consider the scale you using may not be accurate either. But what did you use for stringers?

I have just enough daylight I am going to weight my Sling Shot, it has hatches and I don't remember it's final weight. BRB.

I put everything in the cockpit and came up close to 40#, but I won't use all the fabric. I used cedar for all other parts. I haven't calibrated the scale so it could be off. Wouldn't mind it being off then I would weigh less too.;). There is something about this frame, it is quite appealing to my eye. The lines are striking, more so than any other I have seen. I can't wait to get it covered and on the water. There is a lot of room for storage too.

There is the requirement here that you must take the frame out in the yard, take a picture of it and post it here.  It's really the law, maybe you didn't get the memo!?   :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I guess he never got the memo titled.............."FROG photos, a forum requirement"   Better add that to the stickies posts Jeff!!

Many of us find covering the frame anti-climatic as they look so good.

Here is another

attachicon.gifP2230011.JPG

I see on thing in this photo that contributes to some extra weight. You have a lot of plywood there for the hatch.  I put my hatches behind the next frame and the boat is narrower so there is less plywood. Looks like you use the 1/2" ply and used some 1/4" (I think) I had in the shop.  You could save a pound or two (?) by putting some lightening holes in the corners. 

Well, that is a thought.  The rear hatch is a bigger piece too.  Yes, went with the 1/2" as it was stiffer.  You said you had to reinforce for flex with what you used.

I didn't catch that you had mover the hatch forward another space.  Thinking about how to cut some holes with the cloth in place.  Stitched up to the bow hatch now from coaming.

T

Be easier to just not eat on the days you are going kayaking.  That's got to be good for one or two pounds. :)

That hasn't been working out all that well this winter.

I did cut some 3" holes in the back hatch plywood and then weighed them.  4.6 oz.  So I quit and went back to sewing. 

The stern hatch arrived today and it fits in my cutout.